Need a Great Book as a Help referance for Calculus based physics.

In summary, the speaker is struggling with their Calculus-based physics class due to the inadequate textbook used. They have had success with using "for dummies" books in the past but have found the Physics for Dummies book to be confusing and full of grammatical errors. They are planning on returning the book and seeking a better alternative, specifically one that uses calculus to explain topics like their class does. They also mention a previous physics textbook that was helpful, but is not commonly resold by bookstores.
Llama77
So I'm taking a Calculus based physics class in college. We are up to mechanics and I'm having some trouble. The book that we use kinda sucks and is very brief. When I had trouble with Calculus I went out and bought Calculus for dummies and The complete idiots guide to calculus. Both of these books were great and helped me a lot. So I went out and got Physics for dummies. I have read a couple of sections and the way they explain it just does not make sense to me, as its different than what my book says and what they teach in class. Also the book has a ton of grammatical errors.

I'm going to return this book to amazon and am looking fort something else. I need the book to be the best and use calculus to explain the topics just like in class.

Physics news on Phys.org
The physics text I used for Physics 1 was pretty good, and you could probably find people practically giving it away because none of the book stores buy it back. It was Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Knight.

I understand the importance of having a reliable and comprehensive reference book for your studies. It seems like you have already taken the initiative to find additional resources to supplement your learning, which is commendable. However, I would caution against relying solely on popular science books like "Calculus for Dummies" or "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Calculus". While they may provide a basic understanding of the subject, they may not cover all the necessary topics and may not be aligned with what is being taught in your class.

I would suggest looking for a textbook specifically designed for calculus-based physics, preferably one that is recommended by your professor or department. These textbooks are usually more thorough and accurate in their explanations, and they also provide practice problems and examples that are relevant to your coursework.

In addition, you can also seek help from your professor or teaching assistant if you are having trouble understanding certain concepts. They are the experts in the subject and can provide personalized guidance and clarification.

In summary, while popular science books can be helpful as supplementary resources, it is important to have a reliable and comprehensive textbook for your calculus-based physics class. I wish you all the best in your studies.

1. What are the best books for learning calculus-based physics?

The best books for learning calculus-based physics vary depending on individual learning styles and preferences. However, some popular choices include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Giancoli.

2. Are there any books specifically for beginners in calculus-based physics?

Yes, there are several books designed for beginners in calculus-based physics. Some recommended options include "Calculus-Based Physics" by Bernstein, "Calculus-Based Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Ritchie and Grinstead, and "The Cartoon Guide to Physics" by Gonick and Huffman.

3. Can you recommend a book that covers both calculus and physics concepts?

Yes, there are many books that cover both calculus and physics concepts. Some popular choices include "Calculus-Based Physics" by Bernstein, "Calculus for Scientists and Engineers" by Briggs and Cochran, and "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by Stewart.

4. Are there any online resources that can supplement a physics textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources that can supplement a physics textbook. Some options include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and MIT OpenCourseWare. These resources offer videos, practice problems, and interactive simulations to help reinforce concepts learned in a textbook.

5. What should I look for in a good calculus-based physics book?

A good calculus-based physics book should have clear and concise explanations of concepts, plenty of practice problems, and real-world applications. It should also have a logical flow of topics and be written in a way that is easy to understand. Additionally, consider the format and layout of the book to see if it aligns with your learning style.