What bothers me in Canada and/or USA

In summary: It makes it easier to understand who is who. I like the name Computer Engineering because it sounds more powerful.
budala
Computer Engineering
Electrical Engineering
Computer Science

I understand the difference between those 3 programs and jobs.

What bothers me is; before universities did have Electronics Program which was replaced by Computer Engineering. I do not like this new name Computer Engineering. I wish it is still called Electronics although the courses are the same. I think it would be much easier for general public to understand who is who. Many ppl still do not understand the difference between Comp Eng and Comp Sc. and it would be much easier for my great granma to know what I am going to do:-)

****Electronics sounds more powerful?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
budala said:
Computer Engineering
Electrical Engineering
Computer Science

I understand the difference between those 3 programs and jobs.

What bothers me is; before universities did have Electronics Program which was replaced by Computer Engineering. I do not like this new name Computer Engineering. I wish it is still called Electronics although the courses are the same. I think it would be much easier for general public to understand who is who. Many ppl still do not understand the difference between Comp Eng and Comp Sc. and it would be much easier for my great granma to know what I am going to do:-)

****Electronics sound more powerful?

Sound more powerful?

I think Computer Engineering sounds way cooler.

I do agree with him. Some places call it Electrical & Computer engineering. I think it is a more fitting title.

At first, I thought it was computer science with more engineering applications, and not a variation of electrical engineering.

My cousin and friend of his applied for a job in Munich in Germany.
During their interwievs my cousin told them He is an electronics graduate and his friend said He was Comp Engineering graduate. The plant manager says I am sorry but the position is more for an electronics guy. Both guys graduated from the same program Computer Engineering at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario.

Guess who got a job, elctronics guy.

I had no idea computer engineering was electronics. Electronics sounds cooler. I think I'm just sick of the word "computer".

oksanav , me too.

But computer engineering ISN'T the same as electronics engineering. At least not in America. An electronics engineer isn't required to take more advanced computer science classes like operating systems, compiler design, and computer networks (the CS version). On the other hand, a computer engineer is probably not taking more advanced electronics courses like CMOS design, low power circuit design, etc.

I think it's good they are called different things.

1. What are the main social issues facing Canada and the USA?

The main social issues facing Canada and the USA include income inequality, systemic racism, healthcare accessibility, gun violence, and climate change. These issues have been at the forefront of public discourse and policy debates in recent years.

2. How does Canada and the USA compare in terms of education?

In terms of education, Canada and the USA have similar systems with comparable levels of education attainment. However, Canada tends to have higher rates of enrollment in post-secondary education and has a lower high school dropout rate compared to the USA.

3. What is the current state of healthcare in Canada and the USA?

Canada has a universal healthcare system that provides coverage for all citizens, while the USA has a mixed healthcare system with a combination of private and public insurance. However, both countries are facing challenges in terms of rising healthcare costs, unequal access to care, and the need for healthcare reform.

4. How do Canada and the USA differ in terms of immigration policies?

While both countries have immigration policies in place, Canada has a more welcoming and inclusive approach compared to the USA. Canada has a points-based system that prioritizes factors such as education, work experience, and language skills, while the USA has a more complex and restrictive immigration system.

5. What is the current state of the economy in Canada and the USA?

The current state of the economy in Canada and the USA is closely tied to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Both countries have experienced significant economic impacts, with increases in unemployment and businesses closing. However, Canada has implemented more extensive economic support measures, while the USA has focused on reopening the economy.