Comparing Coumlomb's Force Law & QED for Electromagnetic Forces

In summary, Amr Morsi explains that QM speaks about probabilities and not forces, while QED predicts the same results as Coulomb's law up to a certain limit. However, beyond this limit, the results are more accurate with use of QED. Morsi shares an example of how QED might be used to calculate the volume in which it is most probable to find a particle. If we calculate the interaction between 2 particles using Coulomb's law, can we compare the results and what is the result of this comparison?
Sheyr
In textbooks I’ve read that the Coulomb’s force law is accurate up to 10^-12 m. Below this limit the force between charged particles should rather be calculated according to QED. But I’ve found no answer what are in fact the differences…

So, are the electromagnetic forces between charged particles, predicted by QED, stronger or weaker than the forces computed with use of Coulomb’s law?

Sheyr

Physics news on Phys.org
Sheyr,

Electrodynamics deals with charges, even in motion, through Maxwell's Equations, and on an individual basis.

Quantum Mechanics and Quantum Field Mechanics, however, deal with the situation from another point of view. It speakes about the probability of finding a charge (or a particle in general) per certain volume, within this system, at a certain position "at certain time (for time dependent fields)". So as to say it deals with the volumetric probability-density. But, it describes only an ensemble of events, rather being capable of speaking about only one event.

Of course, QM and ,more effectively, QFTs (especially QED) give significantly much more exact results rather than Electrodynamics, in certain domains of energy and dimensions.

Schrodinger, the founder of the wave-function concept and the mathematical structure of QM, had the idea that QM are covering some unknown property by the wave function. And, the right imagination, according to QM, come late in his age by a known scientist (I don't remeber his name) that its squared modulus introduces the probability density. This can be found in Shrodinger Original Papers, and he implicitly emphasized that this coincided with his thought about the nature of QM. Strange Papers! I will do my best to get them and share them together.
Schrodinger Equation was then made relativitistic by Dirac's for Fermions and By Klein and Gordon for Bosons.
However, there was something missing, the quantization of the field due to the quantized particles (or something like this). And, by the use of nature of Relativistic Quantum Mechanics and the equations of electromagnetic fields, QED was reformulated by Feynman and Tomonagi (And his partner), independently, at the same time! And, they got the noble prize after that for their work, and they deserve it. QED, in particular, is called by not-few scientists as the jewel of physics for its high accuracy.

Returning to the question, QED doesn't deal with forces. We can speak here about effects, in order to be able to compare it to Coulomb Force. For a very large domain of parameters' values, effects are the same (check atomic radii, ... by coulomb and by QM), but the problem is in the characteristic of the distribution of "Many Particles {not interacting mutually}" through space. Actually, these distributions are being graphed in QM, by Surface Graphs, not Curves.

By the way, whne you are talking about coulomb only, i.e. static electric field, then you are not in need for QED, you only need Dirac's QM.

Thank you very much for your patience {:-)] It was a good step in the way.

Yours,
Amr Morsi.

Thank you very much for the explanation Amr Morsi…. but unfortunately I’m not so easy to satisfy ;)

I understand that QM speaks about probabilities and not forces. And, if I understand your post well, the result of interaction between 2 particles, computed with QM, is the probability of finding each particle in a certain volume. In other words, we can calculate the volume, in which it is most probable to find the particle.

Further, I can imagine, that if we calculate the particle-to-particle interaction using Coulomb law, we can also get the volume where we can find the particle? If I’m still right, can we compare this results (the volumes)? If we can what is the result of this comparison?

S.

What is Coulomb's Force Law?

Coulomb's Force Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetics that describes the force between two charged particles. It states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What is QED for Electromagnetic Forces?

QED (Quantum Electrodynamics) is a quantum field theory that describes the interactions between electromagnetic fields and charged particles. It provides a more comprehensive and accurate description of electromagnetic forces at the quantum level.

How do Coulomb's Force Law and QED differ?

Coulomb's Force Law is a classical theory that only applies to macroscopic objects and does not take into account the quantum nature of particles. QED, on the other hand, is a quantum theory that can accurately describe the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

Which theory is more accurate?

At the macroscopic level, Coulomb's Force Law is sufficiently accurate for practical applications. However, at the quantum level, QED has been extensively tested and is considered to be the most accurate theory of electromagnetic forces.

Can Coulomb's Force Law and QED be reconciled?

While QED is the more accurate theory, it is based on the principles of quantum mechanics which are fundamentally different from classical theories like Coulomb's Force Law. Attempts have been made to reconcile these theories, but a unified theory of electromagnetism that encompasses both is yet to be achieved.