Driven Damped Harmonic Oscillator Problem

As for summarizing the conversation, we can say that the conversation discusses the differential equation for a mass moving along the x-axis under the influence of various forces. The question asks for the value of \omega that results in steady-state oscillations about the origin with maximum amplitude, and the maximum amplitude itself. The final solution is A_2(\omega_r) = \frac {2 A} {15 \beta^2}, and the conversation also mentions the use of Euler's identity and taking the derivitive to solve the problem.
Walczyk
A mass m moves along the x-axis subject to an attractive force given by [tex]\frac {17} {2} \beta^2 m x [/tex] and a retarding force given by [tex]3 \beta m \dot{x}[/tex], where [tex] x[/tex] is its distance from the origin and [tex]\beta[/tex] is a constant. A driving force given by [tex]m A \cos{\omega t}[/tex] where [tex]A[/tex] is a constant, is applied to the particle along the x-axis. What value of [tex] \omega[/tex] results in steady-state oscillations about the origin with maximum amplitude? What is the maximum amplitude?

Here's what I've done:

This is the differential equation I've come up with:
[tex]m \ddot{x} + 3 \beta m \dot{x} + \frac{17}{2} \beta^2 m x = m A \cos{\omega t}[/tex]

I'm pretty sure these two steps are the correct ones to make, my textbooks uses this approach:
[tex]A \cos{\omega t} = A e^{i \omega t}[/tex]

[tex]x(t) = A_2 e^{i(\omega t - \theta)[/tex]

This is what I got after plugging in x(t) and solving the derivitives, and dropping the m term:
[tex]-A_2 \omega^2 e^{i(\omega t - \theta)} + A_2 3 i \beta \omega e^{i(\omega t - \theta)} + A_2 e^{i(\omega t - \theta)} = A e^{i \omega t}[/tex]

This is after I eliminated [tex]e^{i \omega t}[/tex] and moved [tex]e^{-i \theta}[/tex]:
[tex]A_2(\frac {17} {2} \beta^2 - \omega^2 + 3 i \beta \omega) = A e^{i \theta}[/tex]

These are the equations I got after applying Euler's identity:
[tex]A_2(\frac {17} {2} \beta^2 - \omega^2) = A \cos{\theta}[/tex]

[tex]A_2 3 \beta \omega = A \sin{\theta}[/tex]

I divided one equation by the other for [tex]\theta[/tex]:
[tex]tan{\theta} = \frac {3 \beta \omega} {\frac {17} {2} \beta^2 - \omega^2}[/tex]

I squared and added both equation's then solved for [tex]A^2_2[/tex]:
[tex]A^2_2 = \frac {A^2} {\omega^4 - 8 \beta^2 \omega^2 + \frac {289} {4} \beta^4}[/tex]

edit: I solved it on my own. Thanks for nothing!
Taking the derivitive of the last equation with respect to [tex]\omega[/tex]:
[tex]A'_2(\omega) = A \omega (\omega^4 - 8 \beta \omega + \frac {289} {4} \beta^4)^{-3/2} (8 \beta^2 - 2 \omega^2)[/tex]

Setting [tex]A'_2 = 0[/tex] and recognizing that [tex]\omega = 0 [/tex] is an arbitrary solution [tex] 8 \beta^2 - 2 \omega^2 = 0 [/tex].
Therefore [tex]\omega_r = 2 \beta[/tex].

For the second part of the problem I plug [tex]\omega_r[/tex] into [tex]A_2(\omega)[/tex]:
[tex]A_2(\omega_r) = A(\frac {225} {4} \beta^4)^{\frac {-1} {2}}[/tex]

The final result!:
[tex]A_2(\omega_r) = \frac {2 A} {15 \beta^2}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
drop the m in the RHS. Why did you use it? Also an atrctive force must be negative if you have it on the LHS.

the question implies it's an oscillator (under damped) this will only be true if beta is < 0.

Furthermore, the m's in the forces ar curious.

Since you solved it - I would necessarily check it to find why my suggestions appear invalid.

The OP hasn't logged in since more than 4 years, so do not expect a reply from his part.

1. What is a driven damped harmonic oscillator?

A driven damped harmonic oscillator is a physical system in which an oscillating object experiences a restoring force that is proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position, as well as a damping force that opposes its motion. It is also subject to an external driving force that causes it to oscillate at a specific frequency.

2. What is the equation of motion for a driven damped harmonic oscillator?

The equation of motion for a driven damped harmonic oscillator is given by: m*d^2x/dt^2 + b*dx/dt + kx = F(t), where m is the mass of the object, b is the damping coefficient, k is the spring constant, x is the displacement from equilibrium, and F(t) is the external driving force.

3. How does damping affect the motion of a driven damped harmonic oscillator?

Damping reduces the amplitude of the oscillations and causes the oscillator to reach its equilibrium position more quickly. This means that the motion of the oscillator is gradually damped out over time.

4. What is resonance in a driven damped harmonic oscillator?

Resonance occurs when the frequency of the driving force matches the natural frequency of the oscillator. This leads to a large amplitude of oscillation and can cause the system to become unstable.

5. How can the behavior of a driven damped harmonic oscillator be graphically represented?

The behavior of a driven damped harmonic oscillator can be represented graphically by plotting the displacement of the oscillator over time. This results in a sinusoidal curve with decreasing amplitude due to damping. The phase of the oscillator can also be represented by plotting the displacement against the velocity over time.