Good books for MatLab tutorial relating to physics?

In summary, there are plenty of online resources for learning computational physics and using it with Matlab. While there may not be specific books geared towards using Matlab for quantum mechanics, one can find algorithms and use their own programming style to turn them into code. It is also recommended to do a "quick reference matlab" search and learn the necessary numerical side of things, as well as the vector operators that start with a ".".
audreyh
I'm preparing to teach myself to program with Matlab over the summer, and I'd like to know if there are books out there (I found some good general MATLAB introductory books) geared towards Quantum mechanics. There's a professor I'm trying to work with who works on quantum communications and lots of other stuff who said he'll let me work with him if I can solve quantum mechanical problems with matlab.

thanks!
Greg

Physics news on Phys.org
well, google "computational physics" for starters. Being a computer-related subject, there's plenty of online resources for it.

I can't promise you'll find something particular to matlab, but you can find algorithms and then use your own programming style to turn those algorithms into code in matlab

in MATLAB there is no syntax well not much...so all you have to do is no the theory. THen when you get the hang of it you can make it faster.

do a "quick reference matlab" search. You will need to know the numerical side of things. Can't remmeber which algorihtms are needed for teh basics of quantum theory(numerov's comes to mind though)

and make sure you learn the vector operators

those that preced with a "." like .* ; ./ ; .+ etc

1. What is the best book to learn MatLab for physics?

The best book to learn MatLab for physics is "Essential MATLAB for Engineers and Scientists" by Brian Hahn and Daniel Valentine. It provides a comprehensive introduction to MatLab and its application in physics, with step-by-step examples and exercises.

2. Are there any MatLab tutorials specifically for physics?

Yes, there are several MatLab tutorials designed specifically for physics. Some recommended options include "MATLAB for Physicists: A Practical Guide" by Andrey Korytov and "Computational Physics with MATLAB" by Joshua Jensen.

3. Can you suggest a beginner-friendly MatLab book for physics?

For beginners, "A Student's Guide to MATLAB for Physical Modeling" by Daniel Kaplan and Christopher Paolini is a great choice. It covers basic MatLab concepts and their application in physics, and includes practice problems and solutions.

4. Are there any free online resources for learning MatLab for physics?

Yes, there are many free online resources available for learning MatLab for physics. Some popular options include the MatLab tutorial on the MathWorks website, the MatLab Academy courses on Coursera, and the interactive tutorials on the University of Michigan's MatLab Physics website.

5. Is it necessary to have prior programming experience to learn MatLab for physics?

No, prior programming experience is not necessary to learn MatLab for physics. However, having a basic understanding of programming concepts such as variables, loops, and functions can be helpful in understanding MatLab syntax and applying it in physics problems.