Discovering Radioactive Microbes in Nuclear Waste

In summary, the host of a documentary about the red rain in India mentioned that microorganisms were found living on burned out fuel rods in a highly alkaline nuclear waste deposit. The specifics of this discovery are unknown, but a related story was heard on PBS radio about microbes found in the radioactive environment after the Chernobyl disaster. Further research should be done on specific microbes such as Deinococcus radiodurans, Deinococcus radiophilus, Agrobacterium radiobacter, Micrococcos radiodurans, Arthrobacter radiotolerans, and Radiococcus radiodurans. This information can be found by searching for articles on these microbes and their radioresistance abilities.
corra
i was watching a documentary about the red rain in India when the host mentioned as a side note that they had found micro organisms living on the burned out fuel rods in highly alcaline waters in the nuclear waste deposit.

Does anyone know the specifics of this discovery?
what I am wondering is this.

is it a new type of organism?
was it created in the nuclear waste or was it normal extremeophile germs that got into the waste and didnt mind living there?

the host also mentioned that they were eating the metals of the fuel rods.
i have this notion that radiation was 1 of the ingredients for the first life to develop and would like to find out more about this.
sadly i have found no mention of it on the internet and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Biology news on Phys.org
I don't know the specifics of the study you mention. However I did hear a related story on PBS radio, regarding microbes found in the radioactive environment left in the wake of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster in Russia. PBS reference: Intimate Strangers

I would also recommend a web search using key words microbes and fuel rods The energy citations database lists one by Breckenridge et al. , which ought to get you started.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are radioactive microbes?

Radioactive microbes are microorganisms that have been exposed to and contaminated by radioactive material. These microbes have the ability to metabolize and survive in environments with high levels of radiation.

2. Where are radioactive microbes found?

Radioactive microbes can be found in environments with high levels of radiation, such as nuclear waste storage facilities or areas affected by nuclear accidents. They can also be found in natural environments, such as uranium mines, where radiation levels are naturally higher.

3. How do scientists discover radioactive microbes in nuclear waste?

Scientists use various methods to discover and study radioactive microbes in nuclear waste. This can include collecting samples of the waste and analyzing them for microbial activity, using specialized equipment to detect radiation emitted by the microbes, or conducting experiments to observe how the microbes interact with the waste.

4. What is the significance of discovering radioactive microbes in nuclear waste?

The discovery of radioactive microbes in nuclear waste has significant implications for the management and disposal of this waste. These microbes have the potential to break down and neutralize some of the radioactive material, reducing its potential harm to the environment and human health.

5. Can radioactive microbes be used for beneficial purposes?

Yes, some scientists are exploring the potential use of radioactive microbes for beneficial purposes, such as bioremediation of contaminated sites or production of biofuels. However, more research is needed to fully understand the capabilities and limitations of these microbes in these applications.