What American accent do you have?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: What people call the "Minnesota accent." Sounds almost Canadian. You may have even been asked if you were from Canada before. I scored - Western Like Midland, Western is a default, neutral, sounds-good-on-the-evening-news accent. So you might not actually be from the West (but you probably are). I've heard the Minnesota accent, and I don't talk like that. Quiz BAD.What American accent do you have? (Best version so far) My results:I have a North Central accent.
I come out as "Midland" also, which actually fits because I'm from Ohio originally.

However, I see from the other responses that a narrow strip along Lake Erie including Cleveland is in the "Northern" region. I grew up close enough to Cleveland that we usually watched Cleveland TV stations, and visited Cleveland regularly, but we were actually not far from the Pennsylvania border, almost halfway towards Pittsburgh. I don't remember Clevelanders talking particularly differently.

Physics news on Phys.org
My Results:

full_230021243.jpg

Northeastern

I come out as New Englandish, which makes some vague sense as I'm English. I was raised in Kent for the majority of my formative childhood life and there they have no accent at all, so I'm close to dialectless but with a bit of a South drawl.

Ie your having a laugh comes out as your having a larrf.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
I got Western, which is about as far off as you can get. I certainly don't talk like the people from Oklahoma and North Texas who have "flaars" instead of flowers and "awl" instead of oil. My first brother-in-law's mother was from S. Oklahoma and between the differing terminology, and the differing pronunciation of similar terminology, that woman caused me to say "pardon me?" on a pretty regular basis.

Okie and Texan aren't the same as Western! :grumpy:

Western for me and I live in Colorado, but I grew up in Kansas and Ohio, plus lived in Nebraska for over a decade. Hence, my Kansas accent is pretty much stripped away leaving a pretty neutral accent. The fact that I happen to live in the West is more coincidence than anything else.

What American accent do you have? (Best version so far)

My Results:

full_240673695.jpg

Western

Like Midland, Western is a default, neutral, sounds-good-on-the-evening-news accent. So you might not actually be from the West (but you probably are).

cyrusabdollahi said:
Hey, let's not have the farsi speakers correcting the native english speakers, MMAKAY??

Its Lisa :!)

Im don't need you correcting me, got it?...it was a typo.

Lisa faghat mikhad behet komak koneh. o:)

I'm from eastern PA, yet I have a western accent? This can't be right. If I have a western accent, then so does all of Pennsylvania.