What is space, vaccuum, or nonexistence?

• Thread starter Skhandelwal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary: I'm assuming the OP is asking about the beginning of time. According to most scientific theory, time began at the moment of the big bang.
Skhandelwal
What I mean to say is what is energy? I mean what is matter? What does it have that separates it from blankness or nothingness?

Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It's something we can measure.

It sounds like this is a rather philosophical question, but I think the answer to your question is that matter and energy exist and blankness or nothingness does not exist.

Energy is the ability to do work. And matter is something that takes up space and has a measurable mass. Does that answer satisfy you?

the indivisible 'atom' of existence is the 'event'. events happen. non-existence doesn't happen.

mass and energy desribe 'how' events (in our universe) happen.

Not bad. But how do events "happen"? How do mass and energy "describe" this?

discretely

granpa said:
discretely
Yeah. So don't go blabbin' it around.:biggrin:

Skhandelwal said:
What I mean to say is what is energy? I mean what is matter?
Make up your mind. Which is it: space, vacuum, nonexistence, energy or matter?

I guess I should have posted this philosophical forum...admin...can you move this into philosophy so people are free to say what they want?

Matter is a thing
Energy is a thing

When you don't have either you have no thing.

What is the difference btw matter and energy?

Matter is something that you can touch, and see around you. In philosphical terms, energy is a force fueling everything. I physics term, the ability to do work.

Then what keeps the energy dynamic? If it is big bang then what started big bang?

<< post edited by berkeman >>

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, if energy is the force that enables work, then energy itself is dynamic, but it takes the form of elements, which we can either see or feel. Big Bang? - that theory is very controversial. Okay - immense compression of energy. One of it's properties is that it's dynamic, extremely. Therefore, I didn't like to be compressed in one place.

I don't like this kind of reasoning.

If this theory is controversial then why don't you guys tell me how you think about it?

Skhandelwal said:
What I mean to say is what is energy? I mean what is matter? What does it have that separates it from blankness or nothingness?

Thanks.

It appears that the answer to your question is that we really do not have the complete picture of matter and energy. As of now they are concepts which will finally lead to a complete understanding...

Matter and energy, according to Albert Einstein (and no-one has been able to show he's wrong yet) are equivalent. They aren't the same thing, obviously. Mass has an energy equivalent and vice-versa. Simple and succinct, or even beautiful. Certainly elegant.

JoeDawg said:
Matter is a thing

Some people are saying that the simplest explanation of matter is that it is space vibrating.

1.3 Matter is formed from the Wave Motion of Space

It is well known that there is a particle-wave duality for light and matter. Given this most simple science theory is founded on One substance, Space, we must consider the Properties of Space, thus we cannot add 'parts / particles' to Space. So we are left only with waves.
Thus there is only one solution - Space must exist with the Properties of a Wave Medium, and matter is formed from wave motions of Space.
So Aristotle and Leibniz were largely correct, they just did not realize that matter's activity / motion really came from the wave motion of Space (a vibrating Space / substance is a simple way to imagine it).

http://www.spaceandmotion.com/Most-Simple-Scientific-Theory-Reality.htm

Energy is a thing

Not at all, its a property of what we often think of as a "thing":

In physics and other sciences, energy (from the Greek ??, energos, "active, working")[1] is a scalar physical quantity that is a property of objects and systems of objects which is conserved by nature. Several different forms, such as kinetic, potential, thermal, electromagnetic, chemical, nuclear, and mass have been defined to explain all known natural phenomena.
Energy is converted from one form to another, but it is never created or destroyed. This principle, the conservation of energy, was first postulated in the early 19th century, and applies to any isolated system. According to Noether's theorem, the conservation of energy is a consequence of the fact that the laws of physics do not change over time.[2]
Although the total energy of a system does not change with time, its value may depend on the frame of reference. For example, a passenger in an airplane has zero kinetic energy relative to the airplane, but nonzero kinetic energy relative to the earth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy

Edit: With these definitions in mind we might answer the OP's question (what is space?) with "everything".

Last edited:
What started time?

Skhandelwal said:
What started time?

Time is the human interpretation of change (rates of change) and how different rates of change relate to each other.

So Does time really exist? Or is all relative like velocity?

Skhandelwal said:
So Does time really exist? Or is all relative like velocity?

We need a physicist to answer that one. And here we are in the middle of a physics forum.-)

Yes. Time exists. Otherwise, there would be no "now".

Please, please, please don't say that "energy" is a "force". If you are using the physics definitions of those words, that is obviously untrue. If you are not, then it is non-sense until you have told us what definitions you are using.

MaWM said:
Yes. Time exists. Otherwise, there would be no "now".

What if there is only 'now'?

Yes. Energy is a force, whether you like it or not, that fuels everything. I'm using the term "force" because actually energy is just energy. In physics, Energy is the capability to do work. Otherwise, it's hard to explain:

Energy is dynamic, if you will. It allows everything it fuses with the ability to something, and in that, physics is correct. It's also correct in saying that there are different types or kinds of energy. But there's also the fact that Reiki masters use energy, your Aura is pure energy, and there are millions of points (called Charkras) in your body that allow energy to move through the body, but only seven main are always in focus, because there are just too many of the others to take into account. People with telekinesis do not exactly use their brains alone, but also use their outer energy as a medium to lift the chair in front of them so that their daughter can vacuum the carpet underneath. So now we've got both sides: the scientific side, and the metaphysical. Which side will you go with? There may be other things out there.I do not know. But on our earth, this is what I've seen. And o yeah, have you been to a church or a prayer and a pagan ritual? energy is used in both accounts. The amount of energy a person can focus on the thing he wants determines how quickly a person gets it, or not at all.

JoeDawg said:
What if there is only 'now'?

Our theories and expirements allow us to predict the future and arrange the past in a logical fashion. I can think about things that are not happening now, and they will come to pass if I use the proper science.

PhysiksFreak said:
But there's also the fact that Reiki masters...

Reiki masters of full of something, its not just 'energy', and it requires a shovel.

MaWM said:
Our theories and expirements allow us to predict the future and arrange the past in a logical fashion. I can think about things that are not happening now, and they will come to pass if I use the proper science.

You remember the past, now.
You predict the future, now.

You experience, now.
Anything else is conjecture.

JoeDawg said:
You remember the past, now.
You predict the future, now.

You experience, now.
Anything else is conjecture.

So? The theories work. The expirements work. I won't be impressed unless you show me evidence that time is an illusion.

MaWM said:
I won't be impressed unless you show me evidence that time is an illusion.

I don't much care what would impress you.

You said: Yes. Time exists. Otherwise, there would be no "now".

That is faulty logic. Now exists, and a theory of time can be inferred from that, but I certainly can't prove it.

If anyone needs to prove anything, its you who claim that 'time' also exits, when it indeed could be an illusion.

The fact that 'now' exists doesn't prove that your 'theory of time' is correct, regardless of how impressed you are with yourself.

HallsofIvy said:
Please, please, please don't say that "energy" is a "force". If you are using the physics definitions of those words, that is obviously untrue. If you are not, then it is non-sense until you have told us what definitions you are using.

Because of this forum I am able to avoid thinking of energy as a force. What I have so far is that energy is a form of measurement used to measure the amount of "work" or motion taking place in a specific condition. Energy can also be "potential" in that there is no work taking place but there is the potential for work to take place ie: gravity.

Maybe this is why time and energy are considered a dimension... as in a "measurement". I don't know. Any physicists on board??!-)

Skhandelwal said:
What started time?
I'm not sure that time ever "started." I'm not sure if there are those who have studied this formally as it seems somewhat speculative and philosophical. Personally, I think of time as a rather ordinary dimension like width, height, and depth. While consciousness moves forward in time, the past and future still exist. They're just located at a different point in space-time.

JoeDawg said:
Reiki masters of full of something, its not just 'energy', and it requires a shovel.

Umm, JoeDawg, You should go get some Reiki yourself. Maybe then you'll believe?

<h2>1. What is space?</h2><p>Space is the physical expanse that exists beyond the Earth's atmosphere, where all celestial bodies such as planets, stars, and galaxies are located. It is commonly described as a three-dimensional area that has length, width, and height.</p><h2>2. What is a vacuum?</h2><p>A vacuum is a space that is completely devoid of matter, including air molecules. In other words, it is a space with no particles or atoms present. This type of environment is often created in laboratory settings for scientific experiments.</p><h2>3. How is space related to the concept of nonexistence?</h2><p>Space and nonexistence are related in the sense that space is often described as the absence of matter. Nonexistence, on the other hand, refers to something that does not exist or is not present. In this context, space can be seen as a form of nonexistence as it is a vast expanse with no physical matter.</p><h2>4. Is space truly empty?</h2><p>While space may appear empty to the naked eye, it is not completely devoid of matter. There are various forms of energy and particles present in space, such as cosmic rays, electromagnetic radiation, and even tiny particles of dust. However, these are spread out over vast distances, making space seem empty.</p><h2>5. Can space or vacuum exist in a laboratory setting?</h2><p>Yes, space or vacuum can be created in a laboratory setting using specialized equipment such as vacuum chambers. These chambers can remove all the air and particles present, creating a near-perfect vacuum. However, it is impossible to recreate the vastness and conditions of outer space in a laboratory setting.</p>

1. What is space?

Space is the physical expanse that exists beyond the Earth's atmosphere, where all celestial bodies such as planets, stars, and galaxies are located. It is commonly described as a three-dimensional area that has length, width, and height.

2. What is a vacuum?

A vacuum is a space that is completely devoid of matter, including air molecules. In other words, it is a space with no particles or atoms present. This type of environment is often created in laboratory settings for scientific experiments.

3. How is space related to the concept of nonexistence?

Space and nonexistence are related in the sense that space is often described as the absence of matter. Nonexistence, on the other hand, refers to something that does not exist or is not present. In this context, space can be seen as a form of nonexistence as it is a vast expanse with no physical matter.

4. Is space truly empty?

While space may appear empty to the naked eye, it is not completely devoid of matter. There are various forms of energy and particles present in space, such as cosmic rays, electromagnetic radiation, and even tiny particles of dust. However, these are spread out over vast distances, making space seem empty.

5. Can space or vacuum exist in a laboratory setting?

Yes, space or vacuum can be created in a laboratory setting using specialized equipment such as vacuum chambers. These chambers can remove all the air and particles present, creating a near-perfect vacuum. However, it is impossible to recreate the vastness and conditions of outer space in a laboratory setting.