Physics or Joint Math/Physics Honours?

In summary, the first year (U1) is common to both programs, so you have to choose only at the 2nd year. Basically, you replace the labs and the research project with math courses and you have less upper level physics to take. It's a good preparation for theoretical physics. It's also the hardest of the physics program, about only 5 graduate each year. Next fall I am enrolling in that program after I finish my CEGEP.
palex3
Which of the two would you recommend? I'm thinking that a joint degree in Math and Physics would be better for graduate studies, but the courses for a simple physics degree sound "more fun":
http://www.physics.mcgill.ca/ugrads/math.html
http://www.physics.mcgill.ca/ugrads/honours.html
Specifically, the last year curriculum varies. The complementary courses for Physics offer more variety, whereas it seems to me that the physics/math courses are pretty restricted (when it comes to physics). So, which one is best in your opinion?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first year(U1) is common to both programs, so you have to choose only at the 2nd year. Basically, you replace the labs and the research project with math courses and you have less upper level physics to take. It's a good preparation for theoretical physics. It's also the hardest of the physics program, about only 5 graduate each year. Next fall I am enrolling in that program after I finish my CEGEP.

Last edited:
I see. The main thing that was worrying me was the lack of uper-level physics courses, but I guess I can always take whatever I'm missing as a grad student. I guess I'll see you there next fall, then!

You can take other physics courses as electives if you have extra time, you are not limited to only the classes they require.

palex3 said:
I see. The main thing that was worrying me was the lack of uper-level physics courses, but I guess I can always take whatever I'm missing as a grad student. I guess I'll see you there next fall, then!

Just to know, are you from Quebec or from somewhere else ? I'm from Quebec and I speak french as my mother tongue.

gab_6666 said:
Just to know, are you from Quebec or from somewhere else ? I'm from Quebec and I speak french as my mother tongue.
I'm in the same situation as you are.

mgiddy911 said:
You can take other physics courses as electives if you have extra time, you are not limited to only the classes they require.

I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense. The required classes add up to 81 credits, and 3 years is 90 credits, so that means I have 9 other credits to take (I think), or 3 other classes (3 credits/class).

Thanks for your help!

1. What is the difference between Physics and Joint Math/Physics Honours?

Physics is a standalone scientific discipline that focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy. Joint Math/Physics Honours is a combined program that integrates the study of both physics and mathematics, allowing for a deeper understanding of the mathematical foundations of physics.

2. What are the career prospects for graduates of a Physics or Joint Math/Physics Honours program?

Graduates of these programs have a wide range of career options, including working in research institutions, government agencies, and private companies in fields such as engineering, data science, finance, and education. They can also pursue further education in graduate studies in either physics or mathematics.

3. Is it possible to switch from a Physics program to a Joint Math/Physics Honours program?

Yes, it is possible to switch between programs, but it may require additional coursework and a longer time to complete the degree. It is best to consult with an academic advisor to determine the best course of action.

4. What skills are necessary to succeed in a Physics or Joint Math/Physics Honours program?

Strong mathematical and analytical skills are essential for success in these programs. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and a passion for understanding the natural world are important qualities to possess.

5. What opportunities are available for undergraduates in a Physics or Joint Math/Physics Honours program?

Undergraduate students in these programs have the opportunity to participate in research projects, attend conferences and workshops, and work as teaching or research assistants. They can also take part in internships and co-op programs to gain hands-on experience in their field of study.