Designing: Roll Cage with CAD+FE, Testing New Materials

In summary, the individual is designing a Roll Cage using CAD+FE and is currently testing and analyzing various materials for its construction. The most commonly used materials found so far are CDS Carbon Steel, ERW Mild Steel, DOM Mild Steel, Cr (Chrome Molybdenum) Steel, T-45, and 1020 Grade Mild Steel CDW. They are asking if anyone knows of any other suitable material that could be used. Suggestions include aircraft-grade Titanium or Aluminum alloys, as well as carbon composites. The individual expresses gratitude for the suggestions.
OutCell
I am designing a Roll Cage (Using CAD+FE) and trying out new materials for testing/analysis. Commonly used materials i found are:

* CDS Carbon Steel
* ERW Mild Steel
* DOM Mild Steel
* Cr (Chrome Molybdenum) Steel
* T-45
* 1020 Grade Mild Steel CDW

Anybody knows any other suitable material i could use? It would be highly appreciated :)

OutCell

Engineering news on Phys.org
OutCell said:
I am designing a Roll Cage (Using CAD+FE) and trying out new materials for testing/analysis. Commonly used materials i found are:

* CDS Carbon Steel
* ERW Mild Steel
* DOM Mild Steel
* Cr (Chrome Molybdenum) Steel
* T-45
* 1020 Grade Mild Steel CDW

Anybody knows any other suitable material i could use? It would be highly appreciated :)

OutCell

Cromoly and Dom are the most commonly use IIRC. You might try some aircraft-grate Titanium or Aluminum alloys to see if there's one that would work (and is available in tube form).

Look up MIL-HDBK-5J for a nice listing of aircraft-grade Aluminum and Titanium alloys.

Mech_Engineer said:
Cromoly and Dom are the most commonly use IIRC. You might try some aircraft-grate Titanium or Aluminum alloys to see if there's one that would work (and is available in tube form).

Look up MIL-HDBK-5J for a nice listing of aircraft-grade Aluminum and Titanium alloys.

Thanks mate. I will give that a search

Maybe carbon composites? I somehow don't think that they'd have the required stiffness, but it might be worth investigating.

Danger said:
Maybe carbon composites? I somehow don't think that they'd have the required stiffness, but it might be worth investigating.

I will look into that too. thanks mate, appreciate it :)

1. How does using CAD software help with designing a roll cage?

CAD (Computer-Aided Design) software allows for precise and accurate 3D models of the roll cage to be created. This allows for easier visualization and identification of potential issues with the design before it is physically constructed.

2. What is the role of finite element (FE) analysis in designing a roll cage?

FE analysis is used to simulate the behavior of the roll cage under various loading conditions. This helps to identify areas of weakness and allows for adjustments to be made to the design before testing with physical materials.

3. Why is it important to test new materials for roll cage construction?

New materials may offer improved strength and weight characteristics, but it is important to test them to ensure they meet the necessary safety requirements. This also allows for comparison to traditional materials to determine the most suitable option for the roll cage.

4. What factors should be considered when designing a roll cage for a specific vehicle?

The type of vehicle, its intended use, and relevant safety regulations should all be considered when designing a roll cage. Other factors include weight, cost, and the skill level of the driver.

5. How can the results of CAD+FE designing and material testing be applied to real-life roll cage construction?

The data and insights gained from CAD+FE designing and material testing can be used to make informed decisions and improvements in the construction of real-life roll cages. This can lead to increased safety, performance, and cost-effectiveness of the roll cage.