DSP Intro Book Recommendations for Upper Undergrads

In summary, the individual is looking for a good introductory book on DSP at an upper undergrad level. They are not afraid of math, but do not want to get bogged down in mathematical derivations and proofs. They are about to take a signals and systems course, and are hoping to take a DSP course as a technical elective. Some recommended books include "DSP First: A Multimedia Approach", "Understanding Digital Signal Processing" by Rick Lyons, "Digital Signal Processing and the Microcontroller" by Grover & Deller, and "Introduction to Signal Processing" by Orfanidis. The individual also recommends checking out the USENET group comp.dsp for more resources and discussions on DSP.
ranger
Gold Member
Hey all,

I'm looking for a good intro book to DSP at an upper undergrad level for electrical and computer engineers. I've glanced through a few books and they look very math intensive. This is not a problem for me. However, since this would mainly be an introduction, I would not like to get caught up the mathematical derivations and proofs.

So the ideal book would be have the math, but not overwhelm me, the student, so that I miss the points of the concepts.

I'm about to take my signals and systems course this coming semester, if that helps in your book recommendation. According to the course description, it will be augmented by 3-4 weeks of introduction to DSP. I hope to take a DSP course as a technical elective if that 3-4 weeks seems enjoyable.

So far someone has told me about DSP First: A Multimedia Approach. But I'm curious to hear what you guys recommend.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
even better here is a ebook free you can copy http://www.dspguide.com/
can you answer me a question in return how do i post a thread so i can ask questions

i've reviewed a few DSP books for the Journal of the Audio Engineering Society. ones that got a favorable review from me (and are not specifically about audio) are:

Rick Lyons: Understanding Digital Signal Processing
Grover & Deller: Digital Signal Processing and the Microcontroller http://www.redcedar.com/revaes.htm
Orfanidis: Introduction to Signal Processing http://www.ece.rutgers.edu/~orfanidi/intro2sp/

but I still must recommend the classic "Oppenheim & Schafer" (now with "Buck" added to the author list), Discrete-Time Signal Processing. that is still the best reference "bible" when rigor of concept is needed. but their definition of "Nyquist frequency" is wrong.

also, if i were you, i would check out the USENET group: comp.dsp . it is still the newsgroup with the highest S/N in all of USENET.

allanworks said:
even better here is a ebook free you can copy http://www.dspguide.com/
can you answer me a question in return how do i post a thread so i can ask questions
ooh! A free book. Thanks.

rbj said:
i've reviewed a few DSP books for the Journal of the Audio Engineering Society. ones that got a favorable review from me (and are not specifically about audio) are:

Rick Lyons: Understanding Digital Signal Processing
Grover & Deller: Digital Signal Processing and the Microcontroller http://www.redcedar.com/revaes.htm
Orfanidis: Introduction to Signal Processing http://www.ece.rutgers.edu/~orfanidi/intro2sp/

but I still must recommend the classic "Oppenheim & Schafer" (now with "Buck" added to the author list), Discrete-Time Signal Processing. that is still the best reference "bible" when rigor of concept is needed. but their definition of "Nyquist frequency" is wrong.

also, if i were you, i would check out the USENET group: comp.dsp . it is still the newsgroup with the highest S/N in all of USENET.

I will check out those book recommendations from the school's library. I dropped by comp.dsp, and saw that you are a very active poster there and in a host of other newsgroups, r b-j. I'm looking forward to this "systems and signals" course. It should be fun with the applied math and all. I'll probably drop by with some questions later on.
Thanks again.

1. What is the purpose of a DSP intro book for upper undergrads?

A DSP intro book for upper undergrads is designed to introduce students to the fundamental concepts and principles of Digital Signal Processing (DSP). It provides a comprehensive understanding of signal processing techniques and their applications in various fields such as telecommunications, audio and video processing, and biomedical engineering.

2. What are the key topics that should be covered in a DSP intro book for upper undergrads?

The key topics that should be covered in a DSP intro book for upper undergrads include sampling and reconstruction, discrete-time signals and systems, Fourier analysis, Z-transform, digital filter design, and spectral analysis. It should also cover practical applications of DSP in real-world scenarios.

3. How can I choose the best DSP intro book for upper undergrads?

When choosing a DSP intro book for upper undergrads, it is important to consider the author's background and expertise in the field, the level of difficulty of the material, and the relevance of the topics covered to your specific needs. Reading reviews and getting recommendations from professors or colleagues can also help in making an informed decision.

4. Are there any recommended supplementary materials to accompany a DSP intro book for upper undergrads?

Yes, there are various supplementary materials that can enhance the learning experience while using a DSP intro book for upper undergrads. These may include online resources, such as interactive tutorials, simulations, and practice problems, as well as software tools for signal processing and analysis.

5. Can a DSP intro book for upper undergrads also be useful for graduate students or professionals?

While a DSP intro book for upper undergrads may be specifically tailored for undergraduate students, it can also be a valuable resource for graduate students or professionals who are new to the field of DSP. However, for more advanced topics, it is recommended to consult more specialized and in-depth resources.