Lie Groups and Algebras: Proofs and Potential Errors

In summary, the conversation is discussing various statements and proofs related to group theory, Lie groups, and algebra. The person is seeking clarification and confirmation on their statements and proofs, and also mentions that not all vector spaces are finite-dimensional. They also mention the Artin-Cartan theorem as a possible proof for one of their statements.
ala
Here is few statements that I proved but I suspect that are incorrect (but I can't find mistake), term group means Lie group same goes for algebra:

1. Noncompact group G doesn't have faithfull (ie. kernel has more that one element) unitary representation.
Proof:
If D(G) is faithfull unitary representation of group G, then D(G) is closed (in topological sense) subgroup of group U(n) (unitary group which is compact and connected, so every it's subgroup is closed), so D(G) is compact (closed subset of compact set is compact), and because D(G) is faithfull we conclude that G is also compact.

2. Kernel of smooth homomorphism is discrete subgroup or whole group.
Proof:
If we denote group with G and kernel with K, K is subgroup. If indentiry component has more than one element than we see that open set containing indentity is represented with identity matrix. Because whole group is genereated with elements from around identiry (my english is bad, but I hope you understand) so whole group G is represented with unitary matrix so K=G. I other case K is discerete subgroup.

And I have few more statements that I doesn't know how to prove nor if they are correct:
3. Semisimple, noncompact group G doesn't have unitary representation.
4. Orthogonal complement (in sense of Killing form) of kernel of representation of algebra doesn't have intersection with kernel (except zero).

If someone sees mistakes here or know for sure that some statements are incorrect, please let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
2. I think this is wrong. Take for example G = GL(n,C) (n>2) and H = C (complex numbers). Then the map det(A) - 1 is a smooth map from G to H. But the kernel is a variety of dimension > 0 (because the ideal defining it is not maximal--use Nullstellensatz for example), so is not discrete. I hope what I said is correct.

4. This is probably wrong too. For example, any nilpotent Lie algebra has trivial Killing form. So if the kernel is nontrivial, its complement is the whole Lie algebra so intersects it nontrivially. For an example, take g to be the strictly upper triangular n x n matrices. A representation with nontrivial kernel: just map every matrix to 0.

First thank you for your reply.
2. Yes, you are right.
Note: Kernel of homomorphism between groups is set of all elements from first group that goes (using homomorphism) to indentity of second group. So mapping could be abs(det(A)) so kernel is unitary group, ie. it is not discrete nor equal to GL(n,C). So now I have modification of statement 2:

2'. Kernel of smooth homomorphism of simple (i.e. doesn't have connected nontrivial subgroups) is discrete subgroup or whole group.
But I don't know how to prove this or to find counterexample. So question is:
Can it be that kernel is nonconnected subgroup that doesn't contain open set in G? (i.e. set that is in topology of G)

4. Yes you are right again, I forgot to write that algebra is semisimple. If you have solvable algebra than orthogonal complement of whole algebra is non trivial so if we have representation that maps elements from this orthogonal complement to zero than statement is not corrent. So is this one correct and how to prove it:

4'. Orthogonal complement (in sense of Killing form) of kernel of representation of semisimple algebra doesn't have intersection with kernel (except zero).

What about statements 1. and 3.?

Best regards...

Last edited:
4'. Goes directly from Artin-Cartan theorem. But still I don't know what to do with rest of statements?

Not all vector space are finite-dimensional.

For which statements in the original post is the above statement relevant?

Yes, you are right, I forgot to say that they are finite dimensional. (In all statements where representation is used)

1. What is a Lie group?

A Lie group is a type of mathematical group that is also a smooth manifold. It is a set of elements that can be multiplied together and have properties such as closure, associativity, and the existence of an identity element. Lie groups are used to study continuous symmetries in mathematics and physics.

2. What is a Lie algebra?

A Lie algebra is a vector space equipped with a bilinear operation called the Lie bracket. It is a mathematical structure that is used to study the algebraic properties of a Lie group. Lie algebras are also used to study the infinitesimal symmetries of a Lie group.

3. What are the applications of Lie groups and algebras?

Lie groups and algebras have many applications in mathematics and physics. In mathematics, they are used to study the symmetries of geometric objects and to solve differential equations. In physics, they are used to study the symmetries of physical systems and to develop theories such as quantum mechanics and general relativity.

4. What is the relation between Lie groups and algebras?

The relation between Lie groups and algebras is that every Lie group has an associated Lie algebra, and vice versa. The Lie algebra of a Lie group is the tangent space at the identity element, and the Lie bracket operation on the algebra is related to the group multiplication operation.

5. How are Lie groups and algebras classified?

Lie groups and algebras can be classified based on their dimension, structure, and properties. The most common classification is based on the type of Lie algebra, which can be simple, semisimple, or solvable. Lie groups can also be classified into different families such as compact, non-compact, and complex. There are also specific classifications for special types of Lie groups, such as orthogonal, unitary, and symplectic groups.