What Steps Are Needed to Determine the Mass in a Spring Oscillation Problem?

In summary: Basically, we solved the energy using 1/2kA^2 then set an energy equation with m in it equal to our result. However, as soon as we set it up, we saw that it made no sense since the m's would cancel out (m * k/m). After that, we tried applying what we knew about the graphs (velocity, position), but that didn't get us anywhere either. In summary, we tried using energy to solve an equation with mass in it, but absolutely failed.
JeremyStudent
1. A block of unknown mass is attached to a spring with a spring constant of 6.5 N/m and undergoes simple harmonic motion with an amplitude of 10 cm. when the block is halfway between its equilibrium position and the end point, its speed is measured to be 30 cm/s. Find the mass of the block, the period of motion, and the maximum acceleration of the block/b]

Me and my friend have been stuck on this problem for a while now, we went into thinking it was going to be easy, only to find ourselves rather stumped, we tried using energy to solve an equation with mass in it, but absolutely failed, if anyone could point us in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you try? Call the mass "m" and consider the total energy when at the point in question.

I don't know how to write the equations the way I see on other posts, so you'll have to bear with me.

Basically, we solved the energy using 1/2kA^2 then set an energy equation with m in it equal to our result. however as soon as we set it up, we saw that it made no sense since the m's would cancel out (m * k/m). After that we tried applying what we knew about the graphs (velocity, position), but that didn't get us anywhere either.

JeremyStudent said:
I don't know how to write the equations the way I see on other posts, so you'll have to bear with me.
Don't worry about using the fancy equation format, just type them in.

Basically, we solved the energy using 1/2kA^2 then set an energy equation with m in it equal to our result.
Sounds good to me.

however as soon as we set it up, we saw that it made no sense since the m's would cancel out (m * k/m).
Show exactly what you did.

What is a spring mass system problem?

A spring mass system problem involves a mass attached to a spring, where the mass is free to move in one direction. The problem typically asks for the position, velocity, or acceleration of the mass at a given time.

What is the equation for a spring mass system?

The equation for a spring mass system is F = -kx, where F is the force exerted by the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position.

How do you solve a spring mass system problem?

To solve a spring mass system problem, you can use Newton's second law of motion (F = ma) and the equation F = -kx. By setting these equations equal to each other, you can solve for the acceleration of the mass. Then, using kinematic equations, you can find the position, velocity, or acceleration of the mass at a given time.

What factors affect the motion of a spring mass system?

The motion of a spring mass system is affected by three main factors: the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the amplitude of the oscillations. The greater the mass, the slower the motion. The greater the spring constant, the faster the motion. And the larger the amplitude, the more energy is required to move the mass.

What are some real-life applications of spring mass systems?

Spring mass systems are used in many real-life applications, such as shock absorbers in cars, pendulum clocks, and bungee jumping. They are also commonly used in engineering for designing structures that can withstand vibrations, such as bridges and buildings.