Why Does LaTeX Parser Not Always Generate an Error?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Hurkyl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary: Thanks!If you REPLY to the message and PREVIEW, you'd see the intended message. If you send a reply with LaTeX, you could give these instructions to the recipient.1. Enable LaTeX in your PM settings.2. If you're replying to a message, preview the message before sending.
Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Someone sent me a private message with LaTeX in it. The images are never of the formula that the messanger wrote, but instead of a formula I've recently seen. Reloading the image doesn't help (that works for images in the main forums) -- and the image I actually see has changed over time.

If the LaTeX has errors in it, the parser doesn't always generate an error. For example,

[tex]\red 5[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hurkyl said:
Someone sent me a private message with LaTeX in it. The images are never of the formula that the messanger wrote, but instead of a formula I've recently seen. Reloading the image doesn't help (that works for images in the main forums) -- and the image I actually see has changed over time.

That's because LaTeX isn't enabled in PMs. It would be nice if the person writing it simply got an error message telling them it's not enabled rather than letting them think it's working and sending you nothing of use.

If I recall correctly, if you REPLY to the message and PREVIEW, you'd see the intended message. If you send a reply with LaTeX, you could give these instructions to the recipient.

I've tried LaTeX in the blogs and in PMs... no luck.
I think LaTeX on the PF-blog has been broken as well.

Latex in blogs and Pm's are not enabled. Perhaps a note in the general rules might be prudent.

The main thing I'm worried about is that the forum software handles these cases incorrectly.

As it stands, this is a great website and a good place to search for and share information but is there any chance you could enable latex in the blogs? I recently posted a couple of blogs that included latex and immediately noticed a problem (interestingly, if you click on the latex image in the blog, the correct information in text is shown in the pop-up box so it still has some use). I did a search in this forum and it appears a number of people would like to use latex in blogs so are there any plans for it to be implemented into blogs in the near future?

regards
Steve

Last edited:
I have a forum plugin that parses LaTeX everywhere, including:
- signatures
- events
- notes
- announcements

It's not finished yet, but it's getting there. Here's a demo: http://www.bloo.us/forums

There's some technical details in parsing each content type, but otherwise it's done in the same place and the same way as forum posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
-Job- said:
I have a forum plugin that parses LaTeX everywhere, including:
- signatures
- events
- notes
- announcements

It's not finished yet, but it's getting there. Here's a demo: http://www.bloo.us/forums

Looks interesting -Job-. In the meantime, does anyone know of a decent blog website that supports LaTeX? I tried WordPress but kept getting a load of error messages when I tried to preview, I think there is a slight variation in how you organise the text.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are some common errors that occur when using LaTeX?

Some of the most common errors include missing or misplaced brackets, incorrect use of commands, typos, and compatibility issues with packages.

2. How can I troubleshoot and fix these errors?

The first step is to carefully review your code and check for any syntax errors. You can also consult online resources or forums to find solutions to specific errors. If all else fails, try to isolate the error by removing sections of code until you find the source of the problem.

3. How can I keep my LaTeX documents organized and easy to read?

One way to keep your documents organized is by using a consistent naming convention for your files and folders. You can also use comments and section headings to make your code more readable. Additionally, using version control systems such as Git can help with tracking changes and managing multiple versions of your document.

4. What are some common compatibility issues when using LaTeX?

Compatibility issues can arise when using certain packages or fonts, as well as when trying to compile documents on different operating systems. It's important to carefully check the documentation and ensure that all necessary packages are installed before compiling your document.

5. How can I make my LaTeX documents more visually appealing?

There are several ways to make your documents more visually appealing, such as using different fonts, adding colors, and adding graphics or diagrams. You can also use templates or customize the layout using packages such as "geometry" or "titlesec". However, it's important to strike a balance between aesthetics and readability, so avoid using too many distracting elements.