Windows Vista, Linux 32-bit, Linux 64-bit

In summary: Just make sure that the OS you're installing the 32-bit OS on (in this case vista) is the last OS on the hard drive.
Link-
Hi,

I have a couple of questions, I bought a computer a week ago and I thought ( ignorance) that if the processor can manage 64-bit I would have a 64-bit computer, later I noticed that I was wrong. I need a 64-bit OS a BIOS and a couple of other things. But while I was doing my research on this topic I found that there's not many 64-bit applications and drivers. So, I would like to give it a try but without loosing any of my other OS or applications.

My question is, Can I install a 32-bit and the 64-bit Linux in an external hard drive with vista (32-bit) in my main hard drive using a multi-boot application? Do I really need 4GB of RAM to have a 64-bit comp? If 64-bit computers are more faster and have more precision why there still 32-bit computers?

Thanks in advance
-Link

Computer science news on Phys.org
Link- said:
Hi,

I have a couple of questions, I bought a computer a week ago and I thought ( ignorance) that if the processor can manage 64-bit I would have a 64-bit computer, later I noticed that I was wrong. I need a 64-bit OS a BIOS and a couple of other things. But while I was doing my research on this topic I found that there's not many 64-bit applications and drivers. So, I would like to give it a try but without loosing any of my other OS or applications.

My question is, Can I install a 32-bit and the 64-bit Linux in an external hard drive with vista (32-bit) in my main hard drive using a multi-boot application? Do I really need 4GB of RAM to have a 64-bit comp? If 64-bit computers are more faster and have more precision why there still 32-bit computers?

Thanks in advance
-Link

32-bit applications will run on a 64-bit OS, but not as efficiently as a 64-bit app on a 64-bit OS. You also don't need 4GB of ram on a 64 bit OS... anything under that will work. The reason everything hasn't switched over to 64-bit computing is due to the inefficiency of how a 64-bit OS handles the 32-bit app. For most programs, the speed difference is negligible anyway.

There should also be no problem with having up a multi-boot setup like you're wanting.

Hello Link,

I understand your confusion and concerns regarding operating systems and computer specifications. Let me provide some information that may help clarify these topics for you.

Firstly, Windows Vista, Linux 32-bit, and Linux 64-bit are all different operating systems. They each have their own set of features and capabilities, and it is important to choose the one that best suits your needs and preferences. Windows Vista is a Microsoft operating system, while Linux is an open-source operating system that comes in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. The main difference between the 32-bit and 64-bit versions is the amount of memory they can address. A 32-bit system can only access up to 4GB of RAM, while a 64-bit system can access much more.

To answer your first question, yes, it is possible to install both a 32-bit and 64-bit Linux on an external hard drive while keeping Windows Vista on your main hard drive. This can be done using a multi-boot application such as GRUB or LILO. However, it is important to note that this may require some technical knowledge and could potentially cause issues with your computer's boot process. It is always recommended to back up your data before attempting any major changes to your system.

Regarding your question about needing 4GB of RAM for a 64-bit computer, this is not necessarily true. While 64-bit systems can handle more memory, they can still function with less than 4GB of RAM. However, having more RAM can improve performance and allow for more efficient multitasking.

As for why there are still 32-bit computers, it is largely due to compatibility issues with older software and hardware. Many programs and devices were designed to work with 32-bit systems and may not be compatible with 64-bit systems. Additionally, some users may not need the extra memory and processing power that a 64-bit system offers.

I hope this information helps you make an informed decision about your computer's operating system and configuration. As always, it is important to do thorough research and consult with a professional before making any major changes to your system. Good luck with your endeavors!

Best,

What is the difference between Windows Vista, Linux 32-bit, and Linux 64-bit?

Windows Vista is a proprietary operating system developed by Microsoft, while Linux 32-bit and Linux 64-bit are open-source operating systems. The main difference between them is the software architecture - 32-bit and 64-bit refer to the type of processor the operating system is designed to run on. Windows Vista is only available in a 32-bit version, while Linux offers both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

Which operating system is better for gaming - Windows Vista or Linux?

Windows Vista is generally considered to be better for gaming due to its larger market share and better compatibility with popular games. Linux has made strides in gaming in recent years, but it still lacks support for many popular games and may require workarounds or compatibility layers to run certain games.

Is Linux more secure than Windows Vista?

It is difficult to say definitively which operating system is more secure, as security depends on various factors such as the user's behavior and the specific security measures in place. However, Linux is often considered to be more secure due to its open-source nature, which allows for more frequent and thorough security updates and community-driven development.

Can programs or software designed for Windows Vista run on Linux?

No, programs and software designed for Windows Vista are not compatible with Linux. However, there are often alternative versions or similar programs available for Linux that can perform similar functions.

Which operating system is more customizable - Windows Vista or Linux?

Linux is generally considered to be more customizable than Windows Vista due to its open-source nature. Users have more control over the code and can modify and customize it to their needs. However, Windows Vista does offer some customization options through its user interface and various settings.