Can You Safely Use a Center Tapped Transformer for a Dual Polarity Power Supply?

In summary, when you short the line common to the center tap on a transformer, you should make sure that the input wires are always connected to the neutral.
gargeug
I'm designing a set of voltage and current sensors for use with a solar system. I have developed all of the circuits, but it requires both positive and negative voltage supplies. I want to use the classic design using a center tapped transformer with two regulators. But I'm not sure what will happen when I try to measure the original 120V line that is supplying the transformer. I think that it will eliminate the bottom half of the transformer, since the center tap will be at the same potential as the source common, and thus wipe out my negative supply. Am I reading this situation right? If so, is there a way around this problem?

Engineering news on Phys.org
just use a single positive supply and then get one of these: http://pdfserv.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/ICL7660-MAX1044.pdf

It will convert a positive voltage to a negative voltage.

gargeug said:
I'm designing a set of voltage and current sensors for use with a solar system. I have developed all of the circuits, but it requires both positive and negative voltage supplies. I want to use the classic design using a center tapped transformer with two regulators. But I'm not sure what will happen when I try to measure the original 120V line that is supplying the transformer. I think that it will eliminate the bottom half of the transformer, since the center tap will be at the same potential as the source common, and thus wipe out my negative supply. Am I reading this situation right? If so, is there a way around this problem?

The transformer should isolate the primary from the secondary winding so what is the problem? You should however be careful about safety when measuring primary side voltages. I would look into small instrumentation transformers to get a bit of added protection/isolation when measuring the primary side. Leright may have something if you are not concerned about cost and if the current required from the negative supply is not high. However, it has nothing to do with the ability to measure the voltage on the primary side of the power transformer.

I didn't really specify very good now that I read it. The sensors that I am using to measure the original line voltage are going to be powered from this dual polarity supply I am creating. It is essentially a loop, in terms of block diagrams. Maybe I am not understanding transformers thoroughly. When you say it is isolated, can I imagine it as a source in itself, completely separate from the primary, and thus when I short the primary common to the secondary center tap, there will be no conflict. It will just result in + and - .5 the secondary voltage.

disregard this thread. I just ripped apart a transformer and shorted the line common with the center tap, and it works fine.

gargeug said:
disregard this thread. I just ripped apart a transformer and shorted the line common with the center tap, and it works fine.

WHOA! Be careful there. Make sure that the lead you shorted ALWAYS stays connected to the neutral if you do this in your project. If the input wires to the primary are reversed then the common ground/center tap on the output side will be 'hot'. Sounds like a potentially dangerous situation to me and quite likely not legal.

1. What is a dual polarity power supply?

A dual polarity power supply is a type of power supply that provides both positive and negative voltages, typically used in electronic circuits or devices that require both types of voltages to operate.

2. How does a dual polarity power supply work?

A dual polarity power supply uses two separate power sources, typically positive and negative DC voltages, to generate the required voltages. These voltages are then combined to create a dual polarity output.

3. What are the benefits of using a dual polarity power supply?

A dual polarity power supply allows for more versatile circuit designs, as it can provide both positive and negative voltages without the need for additional circuitry. It also allows for easier troubleshooting and testing of circuits that require both types of voltages.

4. What types of applications typically use a dual polarity power supply?

Dual polarity power supplies are commonly used in audio equipment, such as amplifiers and mixers, as well as in electronic circuits that require both positive and negative voltages, such as op-amps and voltage regulators.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using a dual polarity power supply?

As with any power supply, it is important to follow proper safety precautions when working with a dual polarity power supply. This includes using proper insulation and grounding techniques, as well as carefully handling and connecting the power supply to avoid electric shocks or damage to equipment.