Cauchy's Integral Formula problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of sin(z)/(z-1)^2 using Cauchy's Integral Formula. It is determined that the integration domain is relevant and the contour should go once around z=1. The formula is known and the confusion lies in the 1/(z-1)^2 term. The conversation ends with the statement that coefficients a_{-2}, a_{-1}, a_0, a_1, \ldots exist in order to integrate the expression.
paddo
How would you integrate sin(z)/(z-1)^2 using Cauchy's Integral Formula? 1 is in C.

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Integration domain would be relevant.

All it says is that "C is any simple closed contour around both z = 1 and z = i"

The knowledge that the contour goes once around z=1 should be enough. The comment on point z=i looks like misdirection.

I believe that actually you already know what you want there, assuming that you know the Cauchy's integral formula. It's just that the 1/(z-1)^2 is confusing?

Yeah. I know the formula.

I did 1/(z-1)^2 but didn't come out as partial fractions.

There exists coefficients [itex]a_{-2}, a_{-1}, a_0, a_1, \ldots[/itex] so that

[tex]
\frac{\sin z}{(z-1)^2} = \frac{a_{-2}}{(z-1)^2} \;+\; \frac{a_{-1}}{z-1} \;+\; a_0 \;+\; a_1(z-1) \;+\; \cdots
[/tex]

For integration, you need to know the [itex]a_{-1}[/itex].

1. What is Cauchy's Integral Formula?

Cauchy's Integral Formula is a fundamental theorem in complex analysis that relates the values of a holomorphic function inside a closed curve to its values on the curve itself.

2. What is the problem associated with Cauchy's Integral Formula?

The main problem associated with Cauchy's Integral Formula is finding the integral of a function along a given curve, which can be a challenging task in some cases.

3. What is the significance of Cauchy's Integral Formula in mathematics?

Cauchy's Integral Formula is significant because it provides a powerful tool for evaluating complex integrals and has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering.

4. What is the difference between Cauchy's Integral Formula and Cauchy's Residue Theorem?

Cauchy's Integral Formula calculates the integral of a function along a closed curve, while Cauchy's Residue Theorem is used to calculate integrals of functions with singularities inside a closed curve.

5. How is Cauchy's Integral Formula related to the Cauchy-Riemann equations?

Cauchy's Integral Formula is closely related to the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which describe the conditions for a function to be holomorphic. The existence of a complex derivative is a consequence of these equations and is necessary for Cauchy's Integral Formula to hold.