Acceleration given velocity and distance

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the average acceleration in g's of a driver during a car collision. The correct acceleration is -363.37 m/s/s and after converting to g's, the result is approximately -37.08 g's. The negative sign indicates that the acceleration is in the opposite direction of the positive direction.
swede5670

Homework Statement

A car traveling at 90 km/h strikes a tree. The front end of the car compresses and the driver comes to rest after traveling 0.86 m. What was the average acceleration in g's of the driver during the collision?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The acceleration in m/s/s is -363.37 but I tried dividing by 9.8 and I got -37.05 g's but evidently that's wrong. I'm not sure what I'm missing here, I converted the km/h into m/s/s then got the correct acceleration then devided by 9.81. Is there a rule that I didn't use? Is there a limit on negative gs?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are right, the acceleration is -363.37 m/s/s.

I'm not a hundred percent sure, but I think -37.08 g's is actually correct. Because if one g is worth 9.8 m/s/s, and you had positive 37.08 of them, your acceleration would be in the positive direction. But it's not... so I see no problem with having a negative number there.

Is there another reason you think -37 g's is wrong?

The average acceleration during the collision can be calculated by using the equation:

a = (v^2 - u^2) / (2s)

Where:
a = acceleration
v = final velocity (in m/s)
u = initial velocity (in m/s)
s = distance (in m)

In this case, the initial velocity is 90 km/h, which is equivalent to 25 m/s. The final velocity is 0 m/s since the driver comes to rest. The distance traveled is 0.86 m.

Substituting these values into the equation, we get:

a = (0^2 - 25^2) / (2*0.86)
a = -363.37 m/s^2

To convert this into g's, we can divide by the acceleration due to gravity, which is 9.8 m/s^2:

a = -363.37 / 9.8
a = -37.05 g's

There is no limit on negative g's, as this value represents the acceleration in the downward direction. It is important to note that the negative sign indicates that the acceleration is in the opposite direction of the initial velocity.

1. What is the formula for acceleration given velocity and distance?

The formula for acceleration given velocity and distance is a = (v2 - u2) / 2d, where a is acceleration, v is final velocity, u is initial velocity, and d is distance.

2. How is acceleration related to velocity and distance?

Acceleration is directly proportional to the change in velocity and inversely proportional to the distance traveled. This means that as the velocity increases, the acceleration also increases, and as the distance increases, the acceleration decreases.

3. Can acceleration be negative?

Yes, acceleration can be negative. This means that the object is slowing down, or experiencing deceleration. Negative acceleration is also known as retardation.

4. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration affects an object's motion by changing its velocity. If the acceleration is in the same direction as the velocity, the object will speed up. If the acceleration is in the opposite direction, the object will slow down. If the acceleration is perpendicular to the velocity, the object will change direction.

5. What is the difference between linear and angular acceleration?

Linear acceleration refers to the change in velocity of an object moving in a straight line. Angular acceleration, on the other hand, refers to the change in angular velocity of an object rotating around an axis. While linear acceleration is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²), angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s²).