Finding Tangent Line to a Curve at a Given Point

In summary, the question asks for what values of a and b is the line 3x+y=b tangent to the curve y=ax^3 when x=5. The attempt at a solution involves finding the equation of the tangent line and setting it equal to the given line, using the fact that the slopes must be equal. A slight error in calculation caused confusion but was corrected to get the correct answer.
mbisCool

Homework Statement

For what values of a and b is the line 3x+y=b tangent to the curve y=ax^3 when x=5 ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe i would need to find the equation of the tangent to y=ax^3 when x=5 then that should be equal to -3x+b=y if I am not mistaken but I am not sure what to do from here to solve for a and b.

Any leads in the right direction or insight if this is the entirely wrong approach would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe i would need to find the equation of the tangent to y=ax^3 when x=5 then that should be equal to -3x+b=y if I am not mistaken
Well, yes, that's just a restatement of the problem! You know that the slope of y= -3x+ b is -3. What connection is there between the slope of a tangent line and the function itself?

thank you for the quick reply hallsofivy. I had -0.04 instead of -3/75 giving me the wrong answer for the online homework webpage which was confusing me. After using -3/75 instead it counts it as correct :(

1. What is a tangent line?

A tangent line is a straight line that touches a curve at only one point and has the same slope as the curve at that point.

2. How is a tangent line different from a secant line?

A secant line is a straight line that intersects a curve at two points, while a tangent line only touches the curve at one point.

3. What is the equation for a tangent line?

The equation for a tangent line is y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the tangent line and b is the y-intercept.

4. How do you find the slope of a tangent line?

The slope of a tangent line can be found using the derivative of the curve at the point where the tangent line touches the curve.

5. What is the use of tangent lines in real life?

Tangent lines are used in engineering, physics, and other sciences to approximate the behavior of a curve at a specific point. They are also used in calculus to find the maximum and minimum values of a function.