Method of Undetermined Coefficients - Inhomogeneous DE

In summary, the given differential equation can be solved using the "Method of Undetermined Coefficients" if x(t) is a constant, polynomial, exponential, sine or cosine, or combinations of those functions. If x(t) is not in one of these forms, the "variation of parameters" method can be used, but the solution may involve integrals. For first order linear ODEs, an alternative method is to multiply by a function p(x) that satisfies p'(x) = A(x)p(x), and then integrate the equation.
Nusc
Given

y'(t) + i*k*y(t) - i*g*x(t) = 0

What "form" does x(t) take?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you asking here? x(t) can, of course, be any function of t.

In order that you be able to use the "Method of Undetermined Coefficients", it must be one of the types of functions we get as solutions to linear equations with constant coefficients: a constant, a polynomial, an exponential, sine or cosine, or combinations of those.

So if it's not then I just leave it expressed as an integral? I put it into mathematica and it only did just that.

If it is not, then you can use "variation of parameters" which is guarenteed to give the solution in the form u(t)y1(t)+ v(t)y2(t) where y1(t) and y2(t) are solutions to the associated homogeneous equation. You can reduce to integrals for u(t) and v(t). Often those integrals have no closed form solution so you would have to leave them in terms of integrals.

Since the DE given is first order, you don't need to make use of the variation of parameters (though I guess you could - it's just that you'll only have one solution, y1(t), to the associated homogeneous problem). In this case it's easiest to multiply by e^{ikt}, as then the left hand side is a perfect differential and you can write

(e^{ikt}y(t))' = i g x(t) e^{ikt}

at which point you can integrate to get the solution in terms of at least an integral solution (it depends on what x(t) is and if you can integrate it to get a solution in closed form).

Note that this method works for any first order linear ODE: Given

y' + A(x)y = f(x)

if you multiply by p(x), such that p'(x) = A(x)p(x), then you can write the left hand side as (p(x)y(x))', and then you just need to integrate the equation. I forget what this method is typically called.

What is the Method of Undetermined Coefficients?

The Method of Undetermined Coefficients is a technique used in solving inhomogeneous differential equations. It involves guessing a particular form for the solution and then solving for the coefficients using substitution.

When is the Method of Undetermined Coefficients used?

The Method of Undetermined Coefficients is used when solving inhomogeneous differential equations with constant coefficients. It is most effective when the non-homogeneous term can be expressed as a polynomial, exponential, sine, or cosine function.

What is the process for using the Method of Undetermined Coefficients?

The process for using the Method of Undetermined Coefficients involves first finding the general solution to the corresponding homogeneous equation, then guessing a particular form for the solution to the inhomogeneous equation. The next step is to substitute the guessed form into the original equation and solve for the coefficients. Finally, the general solution is obtained by adding the particular solution to the general solution of the homogeneous equation.

What are the limitations of the Method of Undetermined Coefficients?

The Method of Undetermined Coefficients can only be used for linear inhomogeneous differential equations with constant coefficients. It also assumes that the non-homogeneous term can be expressed as a polynomial, exponential, sine, or cosine function. Additionally, it may not work for more complex functions or when the non-homogeneous term has repeated roots.

What are the advantages of using the Method of Undetermined Coefficients?

The Method of Undetermined Coefficients is a relatively simple and straightforward method for solving inhomogeneous differential equations. It also provides a general solution that can be easily verified. Additionally, it can be used to solve a wide range of inhomogeneous equations and does not require knowledge of advanced mathematical concepts.