Calculate Flow Rate from Inclined Plate | Physics Problem Solution"

In summary, when you lift the plate on one side, water starts flowing to the other side. It takes a certain amount of time for the water to drain out completely.
venky56
hi,
problem:
I have a flat plate of dimensions 2.6*2.2, above which a 4mm sheet of water is there(stagnant). Now i will lift the plate on one side, with certain rate till i reach the plate inclination some 10 deg.

Physics:
when i start lifting the plate on one side, water starts flowing to other side.

question:
how much time it takes for the water to completely drain out from plate.

Plz provide me the complete solution taking as many factors into consideration as possible

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi venky56! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help. :wink:

i calculated in two ways
1) i have taken it as flow over inclined plate and calculated the velocity at bottom end using bernoullis equation. v=sqrt(2gh). and then mass flow rate. since i knew the intial total mass of water, i calculated the time for the water to drain out.
2) here i considered vicosity effect of water also. Vavg=2g*rho*h*h*cos(x)/3mu ...

i don't know if my approach is correct. but as per my calculation, first case is giving more drain out time than the second ase, which is not correct acc to physics... please make me clear

Hi venky56! :smile:

(have a rho: ρ and a mu: µ :smile:)
venky56 said:
i calculated in two ways
1) i have taken it as flow over inclined plate and calculated the velocity at bottom end using bernoullis equation. v=sqrt(2gh). and then mass flow rate. since i knew the intial total mass of water, i calculated the time for the water to drain out.
2) here i considered vicosity effect of water also. Vavg=2g*rho*h*h*cos(x)/3mu ...

i don't know if my approach is correct. but as per my calculation, first case is giving more drain out time than the second ase, which is not correct acc to physics... please make me clear

(I suspect you've just got a minus sign in the wrong place, but …)

We can't see where the mistake is unless you show us your full calculations. :smile:

1. What is flow rate calculation?

Flow rate calculation is a process used to determine the volume of fluid or gas that is moving through a given point in a system per unit of time. It is typically measured in units of liters per minute or cubic feet per second.

2. Why is flow rate calculation important in scientific research?

Flow rate calculation is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to accurately measure and monitor the movement of fluids and gases in a system. This information is crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of natural and man-made systems, such as water flow in rivers or gas flow in pipelines.

3. What factors affect flow rate calculation?

There are several factors that can affect flow rate calculation, including the size and shape of the system, the viscosity of the fluid, and the pressure and temperature of the system. Changes in any of these factors can alter the flow rate and must be taken into account when calculating it.

4. How is flow rate calculation performed?

Flow rate calculation is typically performed using the equation Q = AV, where Q is the flow rate, A is the cross-sectional area of the system, and V is the average velocity of the fluid or gas. This equation can be modified depending on the specific system and units of measurement being used.

5. What are some common applications of flow rate calculation?

Flow rate calculation has a wide range of applications in various fields of science and engineering. Some common examples include measuring the flow of water in plumbing systems, monitoring the flow of blood in the human body, and calculating the flow of air in HVAC systems.