Rubber Ball response to impact?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of launching a ball using a rubber ball and a sprung plate. The main question being, if a 5 oz mass ball is blasted with a sprung plate at 70 mph, will the ball take off faster than 70 mph due to the compression and rebound of the ball. The speaker also asks how to quantify this effect and whether pushing the ball rapidly or letting the plate impale the ball at 70 mph would result in a faster launch. It is concluded that the mass of the spring/plate assembly does not play a significant role in the launch and that transferring a high percentage of kinetic energy from the assembly to the ball would result in a more explosive reaction.
marietta_ken
Please forgive my ignorance on what may be simple topics for most of you. I'm just trying to get my head conceptually around a ball launching pet project I'm fiddling with.

If you take a rubber (tennis) ball, say of 5 oz mass, and blast it with a sprung plate moving at 70 mph, will the ball take off faster than 70 mph? Seems like it would due to the compression and rebound of the ball. How would you quantify that?

Along the same lines, which would yield a faster ball launch -- pushing it rapidly to 70 mph (so that it is somewhat compressed to plate during acceleration, or letting the plate get to 70 mph before it impales the stationary, possibly somewhat restrained, ball?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe it won't make much of a difference either way. In the first case however the ball will not travel faster, because the force needed to compress it, comes from the sprung plate. If anything it would receive lower kinetic energy than what comes from the plate because some the energy needed to compress it has turned into thermal energy in the ball.

Does the fact that the spring/plate assembly has much greater mass than the ball come into play. In other words, if you take the same amount of KE that exists in a massive spring/plate assy and transfer (a high %) of it to the ball, will the ball not react more "explosively?"

1. How does the rubber ball respond to impact?

The rubber ball responds to impact by compressing and deforming upon contact with another object.

2. What factors affect the rubber ball's response to impact?

The factors that affect the rubber ball's response to impact include the material and composition of the ball, the speed and force of the impact, and the surface on which the impact occurs.

3. Can the rubber ball's response to impact be predicted?

Yes, the rubber ball's response to impact can be predicted through scientific principles such as Hooke's law, which describes the relationship between the force applied to an object and its resulting deformation.

4. How does the rubber ball's response to impact change over time?

The rubber ball's response to impact may change over time due to factors such as wear and tear, changes in temperature or humidity, and the aging of the rubber material. These can affect the ball's elasticity and ability to rebound after impact.

5. Can the rubber ball's response to impact be improved?

Yes, the rubber ball's response to impact can be improved through the use of materials with higher elasticity and durability, as well as through careful design and engineering to optimize the ball's shape and structure for impact resistance.