Background needed for learning string theory.

In summary, a strong background in differential geometry, topology, and analysis is needed for learning string/M-theory, as well as some familiarity with quantum field theory and general relativity. Specific texts recommended for building this background include Munkres' Topology, Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis, and Lee's Introduction to Smooth Manifolds.
arroy_0205
What type of background (both in Physics and mathematics) is needed for learning string/M-theory upto topics recently developed? I will appreciate detailed and specific answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
What physics and math do you know already?

String Theory and M-Theory: A Modern Introduction by Katrin Becker, Melanie Becker, and John H. Schwarz,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521860695/?tag=pfamazon01-20,

is a grad level introduction to string theory.

From its preface: "The reader is assumed to have some familiarity with quantum field theory and general relativity. It is also very useful to a have broad mathematical background. Group theory is essential, and some knowledge of differential geometry and basic concepts of topology is very desirable."

Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned my background in maths and physics. In maths my backgound includes calculus with differential equations but no rigorous knowledge in analysis or differential geometry or topology. I also learned quantum field theory upto renormalization but do not have sound knowledge of renormalization group or advanced topics like instantons etc. Also my background in group theory is not that good. I have done masters in physics long ago but after that did not have touch with physics. Now I have become interested in string theory (quantum gravity in general) and trying to catch up myself. However it seems a huge background is needed in maths for string theory. People talk of very specialized topics like Atiyah-Singer index theorem etc. Unfortunately I am not getting precise information regarding this. There is huge material in maths but I need to choose exactly what I need in order to learn advanced topics in string theory. Hopefully this will explain my problem. Please give any suggestions you would like to make.

You need to know differential geometry to understand general relativity and string theory. To understand differential geometry, you will need some elementary topology. For that topology, you will need need to know the basics of analysis. My suggestion for someone at your level would be to pick up Munkres' Topology and read the entire thing (even the sections on algebraic topology), as it is quite elementary and you may not need too much analysis to work with it. If you have trouble with it, you could always consult Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis. Then once you have mastered Munkres, pick up Lee's Introduction to Smooth Manifolds and master it. Then you should be mathematically ready for string theory.

The mentioned texts are probably the most popular for their respective areas. This is precisely because they are so elementary, and they avoid esoteric topics that other authors include in their textbooks.

1. What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework that aims to explain the fundamental nature of the universe by describing all particles and forces as tiny vibrating strings.

2. What background knowledge is needed to understand string theory?

A strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations, is essential for understanding the complex mathematical concepts involved in string theory. A basic understanding of quantum mechanics and general relativity is also necessary.

3. Can anyone learn string theory?

While string theory can be challenging to grasp, anyone with a strong background in mathematics and physics can learn it. It requires dedication, patience, and a willingness to constantly learn and adapt to new concepts.

4. Is a degree in physics necessary to understand string theory?

A degree in physics is not necessarily required, but it can be helpful in understanding the underlying principles and concepts of string theory. However, with a strong background in mathematics and a willingness to learn, anyone can understand string theory.

5. What are some good resources for learning string theory?

There are many books, online courses, and lectures available for learning string theory. Some popular resources include "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, the online course "Introduction to String Theory" by Leonard Susskind, and the lecture series "String Theory for the Rest of Us" by Barton Zwiebach.