Cooling heated gas under pressure with water

In summary: If I didn't use cooling, the container could explode. The pressure inside the container with no cooling will be 100 pascals. With the cooling water the pressure will be 101.3 pascals.
alabra27
If I have a spherical container with volume 10 in^3 filled with air at 1000 F and 100 psi pressure and the container is thermally insulated, how much water (initial T=10 F) I need to inject inside this container to reduce the temperature to 500 F? What would the final pressure inside the container be (The air will reduce pressure due to the cooling, but the water will increase the pressure due to turning into steam)?
I know this is very difficult, so I am looking for approximated and simplified ways to get some ball park numbers.
Thx
Peter

Science news on Phys.org
alabra27 said:
If I have a spherical container with volume 10 in^3 filled with air at 1000 F and 100 psi pressure and the container is thermally insulated, how much water (initial T=10 F) I need to inject inside this container to reduce the temperature to 500 F? What would the final pressure inside the container be (The air will reduce pressure due to the cooling, but the water will increase the pressure due to turning into steam)?
I know this is very difficult, so I am looking for approximated and simplified ways to get some ball park numbers.
Thx
Peter

Welcome to the PF. What is the application? Is there only air inside initially? Why are you cooling with water?

Hi Berkeman, gald to be here,
There is no application. The question is theorethical. I am working on a problem involved something of comressed heated gas, but it's so complex to explain. This simple example , if answered, will give me the understanding I need to complete my complex project.
Actualy the air in my question in reality is mixture of 10:1 air and alchohol which is then heated inside the container and because of the heating increased the pressure.
I thought air only would make the job easy for the people trying to help me here.
All numbers are not as the real situation but made up for easy calculation.
Appreciate your reply

Oh I missed a question.
I must use water for the cooling. This requirement came from the customer.

What is the purpose of cooling heated gas under pressure with water?

The purpose of cooling heated gas under pressure with water is to reduce its temperature and pressure to a more manageable level. This is necessary for many industrial and scientific processes, such as gas compression and liquefaction.

How does cooling heated gas under pressure with water work?

Cooling heated gas under pressure with water involves passing the hot and pressurized gas through a heat exchanger, where it is in contact with cool water. The water absorbs the heat from the gas, causing it to condense and reduce in temperature and pressure.

What are the benefits of cooling heated gas under pressure with water?

The main benefits of cooling heated gas under pressure with water include reduced energy costs, improved safety, and increased efficiency. By reducing the temperature and pressure of the gas, it becomes easier to transport and store, and can also be used more effectively in various processes.

Are there any potential drawbacks to cooling heated gas under pressure with water?

One potential drawback is the need for a large amount of water, which can be costly and may cause environmental concerns. Additionally, the cooling process may take longer than other methods, which could impact production efficiency.

Are there any alternative methods for cooling heated gas under pressure?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as using refrigerants or air as the cooling medium. However, these methods may not be as effective or efficient as using water. Ultimately, the best method will depend on the specific needs and constraints of the process.