Specific Heat Capacity Question

In summary: The equation is already rearranged for you to solve for one of the masses. In summary, to solve for the amount of milk added, you can use the equation Tf = (T1 * m1 + T2 * m2) / (m1 + m2) and plug in the known quantities (temperature and mass of coffee) to solve for the mass of milk added. Remember to convert temperatures to Kelvin before solving.
chops369

Homework Statement

How much milk at 11 degrees Celcius was added to 0.16 kg of coffee at 91 degrees Celcius if the final temperature is 76.8 degrees Celcius?

Homework Equations

Well my teacher explained how to rearrange cm∆T = cm∆T to somehow come up with an equation to solve for the final temperature: Tf = T1 * m1 + T2 * m2 / (m1 + m2) How would I rearrange that to solve for one of the masses?

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea :(

Physics news on Phys.org
chops369 said:

Homework Statement

How much milk at 11 degrees Celcius was added to 0.16 kg of coffee at 91 degrees Celcius if the final temperature is 76.8 degrees Celcius?

Homework Equations

Well my teacher explained how to rearrange cm∆T = cm∆T to somehow come up with an equation to solve for the final temperature: Tf = T1 * m1 + T2 * m2 / (m1 + m2) How would I rearrange that to solve for one of the masses?

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea :(

I think you are missing a parentheses.

Tf = (T1 * m1 + T2 * m2) / (m1 + m2)

You want to consider the rather aptly named weighted average to determine your answer. Remember though that temperatures need to be in Kelvin.

As to solving for a mass, it's your only unknown. Think Nike: Just do it.

I'm not too sure I catch your drift.

chops369 said:
I'm not too sure I catch your drift.

Just plug in the numbers and solve.

What is specific heat capacity and why is it important?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one degree Celsius. It is important because it helps us understand how much energy is needed to change the temperature of a substance, which is essential for many scientific applications.

How is specific heat capacity measured?

Specific heat capacity is typically measured using a calorimeter, which is a device that measures the amount of heat exchanged between a substance and its surroundings. The measurement is typically done by heating or cooling a substance and then measuring the temperature change and the amount of energy used.

What factors affect the specific heat capacity of a substance?

The specific heat capacity of a substance is affected by factors such as its mass, temperature, and chemical composition. Different substances have different specific heat capacities, and the specific heat capacity of a substance can also change depending on its physical state (solid, liquid, or gas).

How does specific heat capacity relate to heat transfer?

Specific heat capacity is directly related to the amount of heat that is transferred between a substance and its surroundings. This is because the specific heat capacity determines how much energy is needed to change the temperature of a substance, and heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from a higher temperature to a lower temperature.

What are some real-world applications of specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity has many real-world applications, such as in cooking, where it helps determine how long it takes to cook food at a certain temperature. It is also important in industries such as engineering, where it is used to calculate the amount of heat produced or absorbed by different materials in a system. Additionally, specific heat capacity is crucial in understanding the Earth's climate and weather patterns.