Math/Physics Research Opportunities for High School Students

In summary, the conversation discusses various summer programs for high school students interested in research, specifically mentioning RSI at MIT, PROMYS, and the Summer Science Program. It also suggests reaching out to high school teachers or university professors for research opportunities. RSI's focus is primarily on math and engineering, but it is a highly selective program. Other programs mentioned include Earthwatch for biology and the Summer Science Program for astronomy. RSI only accepts incoming seniors.
thrill3rnit3
Gold Member
Anyone got any ideas?

Any links and/or tips would be gladly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you looking for a summer program? The most well known and arguably the best program is RSI which is at MIT. Programs like PROMYS will also assist you in doing research. You might even be able to do research without being formally enroll at a program as long as you know people who can answer your questions like your high school teachers who have research experience in math/physics or professors at a university if you're taking any courses there (I've heard of high schoolers who have done it on their own like this so it's possible). Also see http://www.mathlinks.ro/viewtopic.php?t=268654 thread for tips.

Last edited:
What field(s) does RSI mainly focus in?

RSI's focus includes math and engineering. Not to discourage, but RSI is one of the most difficult programs to get into. I think around 80 juniors every year are selected. Here's the link: http://www.dodea.edu/students/rsi.cfm
From what I remember, RSI required a minimum score of 220 on the PSAT just to apply.
Nevertheless, it seems like a fantastic program.

If you like astronomy, you might want to check out the Summer Science Program (like RSI, for juniors only). www.summerscience.org
Or if you're into biology, Earthwatch seems like a very good program. (Several of my friends did this one). http://www.earthwatch.org

Well it's not really me who's planning to do it (since I'm already graduating in about a couple months from HS), but my cousin who is currently a soph

So does RSI take in incoming juniors or incoming seniors?

RSI takes incoming seniors.

1. What types of research opportunities are available for high school students in the fields of math and physics?

There are a variety of research opportunities available for high school students interested in math and physics, including internships at universities or research institutions, summer programs, and mentorship programs. These opportunities may involve conducting experiments, analyzing data, or working on theoretical concepts.

2. How can I find research opportunities for high school students in math and physics?

One way to find research opportunities is to reach out to local universities or research institutions to inquire about available programs or internships. Many universities also have websites or databases specifically for high school students seeking research opportunities. Additionally, some organizations and societies, such as the American Association of Physics Teachers, offer lists of research programs for high school students on their websites.

3. Are there any prerequisites or requirements for high school students to participate in math and physics research opportunities?

The prerequisites and requirements may vary depending on the specific research opportunity. Some programs may require a certain level of math or physics coursework, while others may prioritize students who have demonstrated a strong interest in the subject through extracurricular activities or competitions. It is important to carefully review the requirements for each program before applying.

4. Can I receive academic credit or recognition for participating in math and physics research as a high school student?

Some research programs may offer academic credit or recognition for participation, while others may not. This is something to consider when researching and applying for opportunities. Additionally, some universities may allow high school students to earn college credit for their research work through dual enrollment programs.

5. How can participating in math and physics research as a high school student benefit me in the future?

Participating in research as a high school student can have many potential benefits, including gaining hands-on experience in a scientific field, developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and building connections with professionals in the field. It can also make a strong addition to college applications and may even lead to future research opportunities or career paths in math and physics.