PhD decision: Applied Math vs Aerospace Engg.

In summary: Whilst I can't say that Aerospace Engineering is the only route to go for a career in aerospace, I believe it would be the best one.
Warlord88
I have Bachelor's and Master's degrees in Aerospace Engineering. I recently got PhD admits from University of Michigan (Aerospace Engineering) and University of Texas at Austin (Computational & Applied Mathematics). I need to make a choice between the both and I hope you guys can help me out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to stay in the Sunbelt or West Coast, go to UT. It'll also give you more flexibility in finding employment to have both AE and math/comp sci degrees.

If you are interested in working in the aerospace industry, I think one would be as good as the other. Do the one that would be more interesting to you.

You went to the University of Michigan for Aerospace Engineering, which is top 3 in the subject. If you enjoyed your time there, I would definitely recommend staying. Aerospace is supposed to see a 10% increase in jobs over the next 10 years as well. At any rate, that is the route that I'm taking. UofM is amazing for Aero.

wildman said:
If you are interested in working in the aerospace industry, I think one would be as good as the other. Do the one that would be more interesting to you.

really? I would think that employers in the aerospace/defense industry would much rather have an AE than an Applied math guy. I don't know what the applied math person could do other than systems engineering, trade analysis, software engineering, etc

This choice is entirely up to you. If I were you, I'd go with the aerospace Ph.D. But then again, I'm an aerospace major myself, and aerospace is all I would ever want to do (except possibly nuclear). It's really all about what you want in life, and what kind of job you want to get, and what you find most interesting.

creepypasta13 said:
I would think that employers in the aerospace/defense industry would much rather have an AE than an Applied math guy. I don't know what the applied math person could do other than systems engineering, trade analysis, software engineering, etc

There are misconceptions like this that apply to almost every job available in industry. Whilst I myself can't speak directly for aerospace engineering, the thing that students often fail to realize is that to someone hiring for industry, the most important thing are the skills that one has learned. For the aero/applied math dilemma, I imagine that it would depend on what you'd done in aero. Applied math would bring a lot of valuable skills, that could be applied in a way that you understand to engineering. If you're an expert in some particular type of math or modelling, you might actually be able to educate your employer on how that could be useful for their purposes. On top of this, you'll clearly be comfortable with math and modelling.

1. What is the difference between a PhD in Applied Mathematics and Aerospace Engineering?

A PhD in Applied Mathematics focuses on the development and application of mathematical principles and techniques to solve real-world problems in various fields, including engineering. On the other hand, a PhD in Aerospace Engineering focuses specifically on the design, development, and testing of aircraft, spacecraft, and related technologies. While both degrees involve advanced mathematical concepts, the focus and application are different.

2. Which degree would provide more career opportunities?

Both a PhD in Applied Mathematics and Aerospace Engineering can lead to diverse career opportunities in industries such as aerospace, defense, finance, and technology. The choice ultimately depends on an individual's interests and career goals. Applied Mathematics may offer more flexibility in terms of job opportunities, while Aerospace Engineering may have more specialized opportunities in the aerospace industry.

3. How do I decide which degree is right for me?

Consider your interests, strengths, and career goals when deciding between a PhD in Applied Mathematics and Aerospace Engineering. If you are passionate about using mathematical principles to solve complex problems in various fields, Applied Mathematics may be the better fit. If you have a strong interest in aeronautics and space technology, Aerospace Engineering may be the better choice.

4. What are the potential research areas in both degrees?

Applied Mathematics research can cover a wide range of topics, such as numerical analysis, optimization, mathematical modeling, and data analysis. Aerospace Engineering research can focus on areas such as aerodynamics, propulsion, flight mechanics, and spacecraft design. Both degrees offer opportunities for interdisciplinary research in collaboration with other fields.

5. How long does it typically take to complete a PhD in Applied Mathematics or Aerospace Engineering?

The length of a PhD program can vary depending on the individual, their research topic, and the institution. On average, a PhD in Applied Mathematics takes around 4-6 years to complete, while a PhD in Aerospace Engineering can take 5-7 years. However, the time frame can be shorter or longer depending on the student's progress and the complexity of their research.