How many hours a day do physicists spend with their girlfrields?

• Thread starter causalset
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicists
In summary, the conversation revolves around a physicist's struggle to balance his work in physics and spending time with his girlfriend, who feels neglected. The conversation also touches upon the idea of finding a partner in the same field and the importance of prioritizing in a relationship. There is also a humorous discussion about the possibility of a physicist's girlfriend cheating on him with another physicist.

How many hours a day do physicists spend with their girlfriends

• less than 1 hour a day

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • 1-2 hours a day

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • 2-3 hours a day

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3-4 hours a day

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • 4-5 hours a day

• 5-6 hours a day

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • 6-7 hours a day

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • 7-8 hours a day

• 8-9 hours a day

• 10 or more hours a day

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters
causalset
I am 29 years old. I have just completted my ph.d. in physics (my thesis was on a rather obscure approach to quantum gravity, called causal set theory). I am starting a post-doctoral position in India.

Anyway, I have recurrent fight with my girlfriend regarding the fact that I overfocus on physics and don't give her enough time. From her point of view, the working day is 8 hours, and she allows me to work a lot more than that: all she asks me is to give her 4 hours a day and at least one weekend. However, when I talked to my former thesis advisor about it, he said he barely spends any time with his wife at all. From his point of view, it is hard for people who are outside of physics to understand that you can do research outside of the lab (my girlfriend is in biochemistry), but it is normal for people in theoretical physics to work as much as I do. However, my girlfriend pointed it out to me that she knows two people who are also graduate students in physics department, and both of them spend far more time socializing than me. She also pointed out that when I went to one of the conferences, people socialized with each other. From her point of view, this indicates that in general they are more willing to socialize than me; I don't have evidence one way or the other.

So I would like to make an opinion poll and get objective evidence. How many hours a day do physicists on my level spend with their girlfriends?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on how much they love them.

4 hours a day? That's insane. I'd go crazy spending 4 hours a day with anyone - day in day out.

This isn't a case of the mythical average physicist dating the mythical average physicist's girlfriend. This is a case of you dating your girlfriend. It's dangerous to oversimplify things in any analysis -- e.g. the classic "assume a spherical cow".

This poll is also very sexist. It automatically assumes that physicists are either straight males, promiscuous straight males cheating on their wives, or lesbians!

:)

Zz.

causalset said:
I am 29 years old. I have just completted my ph.d. in physics (my thesis was on a rather obscure approach to quantum gravity, called causal set theory). I am starting a post-doctoral position in India.

I'm in the same age range, currently working on my PhD in computer vision. My work is highly theoretical...so I know what you mean about not being able to stop at 6 pm. Actually, I think it's a lot worse being in computer science because a simple idea can often take hundreds of hours of programming to validate. I recently had a similar argument with my girlfriend. She didn't think we spent enough time together, whereas I was finding it difficult to get work done due to the amount of time I was spending with her.

get rid of the gf and you can have all the time you want...

or...

If you want to keep her because you have fun together and she makes you happy, then rethink your life and decide which makes you happier.

You have about 10 years left of girlfriends and good party times. Then you'll be 40 and life will be very different. then you'll still have (depending on where you live) about another 30 years to do full time physics.

Time management!

It depends on our level of entanglement

I never really counted time.

I don't know. I hate when people try to quantify "love" and feelings like that. That's ******** in my books.

lets assume that the physicist actually has a girl friend,

now we take the second derivative of the hotness of the girl and find the sum of his

i don't bloody know

lol

Find a partner in your field, with your exact interests. Work on the same project and the next poll will be, how much time is reasonable to take off for myself?

Lacy33 said:
Find a partner in your field, with your exact interests. Work on the same project and the next poll will be, how much time is reasonable to take off for myself?

There are
75 people in my physics lectures,
3 are girls

lol

I spent a few hours with a physicist's girlfriend once. Don't tell my wife.

I think the actual amount of time is probably irrelevant (not to mention that 3-4 hours every day is really dreaming, even for people with normal jobs).

Maybe what really bugs her is your priority system. Is she always second priority? Any time you spend with her has to be scheduled around your physics work? If something comes up at work, you're always willing to cancel any plans you had with her? Or are there at least some instances where you'll spend time with her even though you know it will put you behind in your work, meaning you have to make up that time somewhere, etc?

If she does rank second and there is a huge gap between your first priority and second priority, then that's fine. I think she just wants to know exactly where she stands so she can decide whether or not that's how she wants to live her life.

jimmysnyder said:
I spent a few hours with a physicist's girlfriend once. Don't tell my wife.

And whilst you was having your little fling jimmy your wife was having her little fling.It wasn't me honestly.I think it was the next person who answers this thread.

Just wondered how everything is going here.Whoops...damm...oh what a giveaway.Time to put on my running shoes.

BobG said:
I think the actual amount of time is probably irrelevant (not to mention that 3-4 hours every day is really dreaming, even for people with normal jobs).

Maybe what really bugs her is your priority system. Is she always second priority? Any time you spend with her has to be scheduled around your physics work? If something comes up at work, you're always willing to cancel any plans you had with her? Or are there at least some instances where you'll spend time with her even though you know it will put you behind in your work, meaning you have to make up that time somewhere, etc?

If she does rank second and there is a huge gap between your first priority and second priority, then that's fine. I think she just wants to know exactly where she stands so she can decide whether or not that's how she wants to live her life.

Actually, the statement that she "comes second" is exact complaint she says, in her own words! I try to tell her then that, in my heart, she is first, it is just the specific stressors that come at the times when I overfocus. Her response to that is that priority system should be judged by the actions. So, based on that latter statement, how can you say that "actual amount of time is probably irrelevant"? Also, you said "3-4 hours every day is really dreaming, even for people with normal jobs". If such was true, why would "my actions" show she is second if I refuse to do that?

redargon said:
get rid of the gf and you can have all the time you want...

I am not doing that. I love my girlfriend and I want to be with her. I just want to find a way to be able to have my girlfriend, and not compromise physics either. There are other people who do it -- most professors in physics department have wifes. So may be there is some trick they can use

or...

redargon said:
If you want to keep her because you have fun together and she makes you happy, then rethink your life and decide which makes you happier.

You have about 10 years left of girlfriends and good party times. Then you'll be 40 and life will be very different. then you'll still have (depending on where you live) about another 30 years to do full time physics.

Time management!

Actually, I also think about the age thing, and that is the exact thing that makes me want to spend MORE time on physics. Even if I do spend my years before 40 partying, there are no positive consequences to it after I am 40. On the other hand, if I do research and have some publications, they will stay with me forever.

Also, I am not a big party person. My reasons to having a girlfriend can be fulfilled by a wife no matter how old I might be. On the other hand, as a physicist I would probably be less productive after I am 40. Even if I will be one of the fewer people who retain their productivity at the older age, and, as you put, still have 30 more years to go, I would have still lost 25% of my time, which is a lot.

This can not be said about a wife. When I am 70 I will be at the same place family-wise, whehter I had my wife since 30 or since 40. On the other hand, if I do the partying between 30 and 40, I will have less publications by the time I am 70. No matter how great my productivity might be after 40, I would still look back at 30-40 time and say I could have done even more.

She obviously doesn't understand the importance of your work to you. If she can't handle that then maybe you shouldn't be together. Its either that or get a less demanding job.

Hurkyl said:
This isn't a case of the mythical average physicist dating the mythical average physicist's girlfriend. This is a case of you dating your girlfriend. It's dangerous to oversimplify things in any analysis -- e.g. the classic "assume a spherical cow".

The reason I presented it that way is because I had discussions with my gf of how much time she will require "on a long run" (including several years from now). This means that this has nothing to do with circumstances now and more to do with what she expects in general.

This seems to have less to do with physics and is more of a relationship problem. Replace doing physics with managing a business or hanging out with friends and you have the same problem. It boils down to how much you love her and how much you love doing physics. Make no doubt about it, you can love someone enough to sacrifice from your career/pleasure for, but you can also not love them enough. Just because other people "seem" to have a trick doesn't mean that trick isn't 'I'm in a loveless marriage' or 'my spouse is addicted to prostitutes'.

Pengwuino said:
This seems to have less to do with physics and is more of a relationship problem. Replace doing physics with managing a business or hanging out with friends and you have the same problem.
Yep! When I was developing custom programs for businesses and trying to grow my business, I was often on-site at the customers' businesses by 7-8 am, and generally (after eating supper and watching the news) I'd spend the whole evening coding, often until midnight or so. It's hard to stop once you have an "aha" moment when the coding is coming together well, and you don't want to take the time to comment the code so you can refresh your memory and pick it up quickly the next day.

My wife is a patient woman and she knew the pressures I put on myself to make my business a success, but every once in a while, she'd put her foot down so I would go to bed at a reasonable hour or take some time off on a weekend.

Pengwino's got a point. If your spouse/girlfriend/significant other will always come in a low second, then maybe you need a spouse/girlfriend/significant other that will always rank you a low second.

Or find a woman with serious self esteem problems that's so grateful for any kind of attention that ranking a low second seems like a good deal to her.

Or, some women would be perfectly happy as long as you graced her with your sperm for procreation so she can devote her life to raising a flock of kids.

The good trick is to find someone who meets your lifestyle. The bad trick is winding up with someone that can't possibly be happy with your type of relationship and resorts to drugs, alcohol, etc to pass the time.

It is completely irrelevant how much time other people spend with spouses or significant others. What is relevant is that you are not giving your girlfriend the time and attention she desires. When you DO spend time with her, do you actually pay attention to her, or are you just in the same room and still doing physics or talking about physics?

If you consider it a sacrifice to spend time with her instead of doing physics, why do you want to stay with her anyway? If you really loved her, you'd be asking the question the other way around, how do you manage to commit the time needed to do your research when you really desire to be with your girlfriend.

BobG said:
Or [...]
Or[...]
Or share your life with somebody who also has their own passion and ambition. :tongue2:

Anyway, my answer is : enough time so that I question whether it's worth. I have no shame admitting that. I do love her, and I also loved others before. I have always been clear with my priorities. I am lucky enough that working 12 or 15 hours per day feels good. Not everybody wakes up happy at 7am after 3 hours of sleep to get back to work.

First thing in the morning as well as last thing in the evening is checking the status of the experiment. Maybe when I'm old, I'll consider the possibility to switch to checking on the kids.

Pengwuino said:
This seems to have less to do with physics and is more of a relationship problem. Replace doing physics with managing a business or hanging out with friends and you have the same problem. It boils down to how much you love her and how much you love doing physics. Make no doubt about it, you can love someone enough to sacrifice from your career/pleasure for, but you can also not love them enough. Just because other people "seem" to have a trick doesn't mean that trick isn't 'I'm in a loveless marriage' or 'my spouse is addicted to prostitutes'.

I see your point. The reason I view it as a physics problem, is that I would have been on her side of the table if it was anything else what-so-ever. For example, I found it very disrespectful when my first girlfriend was spending time with her friends, without including me; and, one of the things I like the most about my current girl friend is that she always puts me first to her friends -- for instance, in her birthday, I was the only one invited.

Now, it might sound like I am hypocritical since I say others should put me first but I should not return similar favor. Actually, that is not true. If my current girlfriend were to refuse to spend any time with me *because of her research*, I won't mind that at all. On the other hand, if she doesn't spend time with me because she has to watch a show, which lasts only an hour, that bothers me to some extend.

In other words, I have the same standards to myself and others, and the standards are the following:

1)Relationship should NOT go second to friends, movies, hobbies, or anything else

2)A big exception to the above is research

So the CONTRAST between 1 and 2 is NOT about attitude towards relationship; it is an attitude towards research. That is why I view it as a research issue, rather than relationship issue.

I suspect that the major sourse of my misunderstanding with my gf is that she doesn't see 1 and 2 as separate categories. For instance, she mentioned once or twise that when she was little her father was neglecting both her and her sister because of his preocupation with TV, and when I do physics all the time it feels the same. I tell her that physics is much more important than TV, and if you ignore someone for X, then the more important X is, the less it can be construed that a person doesn't care about you. Her response to that is that she doesn't care about the reason (whether it be physics or TV, or anything else), what she cares about is actions, and the actions are the same.

So, this leads to a general question. The question is NOT whether it is okay to ignore a gf for a hobby, or friends. Both me and her agree it is not okay. The question is whether a career should be in a different category.

causalset said:
So, this leads to a general question. The question is NOT whether it is okay to ignore a gf for a hobby, or friends. Both me and her agree it is not okay. The question is whether a career should be in a different category.

You should not ignore your significant other for the sake of a career if you wish them to remain your significant other. If your career is more important, let them go or find someone who is comfortable with a career coming first. Not everyone can handle being a "career widow." It doesn't matter what your career is, if the hours are long, expect it to be incompatible with most relationships.

On the other hand, if it's a more short-term thing, such as you need to work really hard for 5 years to get promoted to a certain level that will bring better stability and ability to support a family, then one would hope your significant other could understand and be supportive of that need in the short term as long as they know that the early sacrifice will get you long-term gain that will let you enjoy doing more things together.

If you instead plan to work those same long hours your entire career, expect it to be difficult to maintain relationships.

Basically, you need to decide your priorities. If career is more important than your relationships, your relationships will suffer. If your relationships are more important than your career, you may be slower to promotion but happier at home. Or, seek out someone who shares your goals. If you find another workaholic, you may get along well.

causalset said:
... However, when I talked to my former thesis advisor about it, he said he barely spends any time with his wife at all.

But what was the story when they were still dating?

Redbelly98 said:
But what was the story when they were still dating?

More importantly, what does his wife think about the current situation? Maybe she is very unhappy and he's clueless about it.

causalset said:
Now, it might sound like I am hypocritical since I say others should put me first but I should not return similar favor. Actually, that is not true. If my current girlfriend were to refuse to spend any time with me *because of her research*, I won't mind that at all. On the other hand, if she doesn't spend time with me because she has to watch a show, which lasts only an hour, that bothers me to some extend.

In other words, I have the same standards to myself and others, and the standards are the following:

1)Relationship should NOT go second to friends, movies, hobbies, or anything else

2)A big exception to the above is research

So the CONTRAST between 1 and 2 is NOT about attitude towards relationship; it is an attitude towards research. That is why I view it as a research issue, rather than relationship issue.

A lot of people seem to have this line of reasoning. "MY interest should always come first because it's somehow special". It's not. What if your girlfriends main interest was her friends? or working out? You say that if she had research, you'd be fine with it, but really, what if every moment you had time free for her she said "sorry, i need to study", how would you feel?

If she expects more socialization out of you than it is your natural tenancy to give, she may just end up being an incompatible partner. As that a romantic relationship is generally a purely social human affair, it would be important for a romantic interest to be comfortable with your inherent patterns of socialization.

Moonbear said:
On the other hand, if it's a more short-term thing, such as you need to work really hard for 5 years to get promoted to a certain level that will bring better stability and ability to support a family, then one would hope your significant other could understand and be supportive of that need in the short term as long as they know that the early sacrifice will get you long-term gain that will let you enjoy doing more things together.

That, again, reminds me a lot of what my gf says, too. She pointed out that when I had to defend my thesis, if anything she only encouraged me to spend more time on it, because it was real deadline. What she has problem with is when I don't have any obligations from outside, and I set up my own deadlines and/or assignments for myself.

I guess the reason I have problem with this is that, since I was 9 year old, I had a dream of being famous physicist, like Einstein. My goal has always been doing "my own physics" (which, by the way, is the reason why I make assignments for myself -- I was teaching my advisor the physics I was doing, not the other way around). So, this goal can not be accomplished if I simply follow the minimal requirenments that others impose on me.

Now, from your reply I can see how I can spin it by saying "if I will be famous I will also be rich, so this will help our relationship long term". But this would not be an honest reason. I want to be famous for the sake of being famous. I don't care whether or not this would get me promoted, or any other practical benefits that come with it. For all I care, I might as well be homeless; as long as I am famous that is all I need.

I did ask my gf the following question: if practical requirenments (such as completting ph.d. on time) are more important than my own requirenments (such as posting a certain arxiv paper a week from now which no one cares about besides me), then why should I be a physicist on the first place -- no one "required" me to choose physics as my career; in fact, I would probably make more money as a businessman. I don't remember her answer to be honest, I believe she answered something along the lines that I shouldn't be so black or white. But anyway, that is one of the questions I have.

There is also another angle to the issue that you brought up. As a result of my bad history with physics department (see this post https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=314153 ) I made myself a bad reputation and no one wanted to be my advisor, other than retired professor who is not in my field (my field being quantum gravity, and my advisor's field being car safety). In order to accommodate my interest, me and my advisor agreed to find an advisor from a different school whose work is in my field. Since neither retired professor from my own school, nor the working professor from a different school, are in a position to support me, I got no money for my work; my sole source of financial support is my mom.

Appart from that, I didn't have any real assignments either. The field of the professor working at the other university is causal set theory. This is a very obscure approach to quantum gravity, in which only 20 professors have been working, worldwide. Even though this approach has been around for a while, not much progress was made. I decided to take advantage of that, and invent completely different approach to causal sets of my own -- thus fulfilling part of my dream I had at 9 year old to do "my own physics". As a result, I am basically teaching my advisors (including the one in the field) and not the other way around, so I don't have any assignments.

I don't think my gf brought it up any time recent. But I remember her saying a year ago "if that is your job, are you being payed for it?" and "were you actually given this assignment, or did you come up with it on your own?". Of course, one thing I can say in my defense is that my project kept me in school and also I just defended a thesis on it and the whole committee (made out of 6 ppl) approved it. But still, she is right in a sense that I was supervising myself throughout this project, which means that I could have done twice less and still have defended it.

I guess the reason I don't like THIS being one of the reasons that she doesn't take my work seriously is that, like I mentioend earlier, the whole reason I was in a situation when I didn't have real supervision was that I screwed up in the past. So, if I put all that together, it sounds like "since you were a bad physicist in the past, you might as well continue to be bad".Now I know she does not actually think that way. After all, I confronted her on that by asking what if I had a real supervisor who pays me, and who told me to do a lot of research, how would then we manage our time? I think her answer was something along the lines that she would have given me all the time I want before the deadline set up by my advisor is approaching, but not otherwise. So, since my advisor won't be giving me deadlines every few days, we would have time together.

I guess it PARTLY answers my question: say, real advisor would be giving me deadlines once a month, and then I will only be busy once a month, un-like now when I am busy every day. However, there is another side of a coin to this: if I stop making myself busy every day, then I would be busy LESS often than once a month since I won't have assignments. So it is no win situation: I can either be more busy than once a month or less busy. Okay, actually, this whole thing is not very relevant now because I just got my ph.d. and I am starting a postdoc. In postdoc I WILL have a real paying job and stuff. So I guess I was just talking about it just for a general assessment of her mindset.

Speaking of the issue of my prospects, one thing that my gf said a couple of times is that, in her honest opinion, she doesn't see how I would become a professor given the poor social skills I have right now. I suffer from Asperger's Syndrome, which is considered to be a mild form of autism. While this does not affect my academic skills (in fact, a lot of ppl with Asperger are quite successful in their field of interest), it severely impairs my social skills. So, my gf said that she doesn't see how I would be able to be a professor at a university where I have to teach; the only option she sees for me is to work in a research institute where teaching is not part of the duties.

I called her on it by asking whether it means that she thinks I shouldn't take my career seriously because it won't work anyway. Her response was that no she does not mean that. Quite the opposite: she thinks I CAN improve my social skills by socializing more (in particular, with her), but that means I shouldn't devolte so much time to physics that I don't have time for social skills. I guess I hope that the latter is her real motivation as opposed to the former.

To me it seems that her blaming my Asperger is part of the problem. Fixation on a narrow area of interest is common among people with Asperger, and she viewes my research in physics as such fixation. In fact, I remember the following conversation. We were talking about my controlling mom who views me as a little kid (insists on calling me every day, asks whether I ate and what I ate, bends down to tie my shoes, etc) and tries to find ways to sabotages my relationship with my gf simply because she doesn't approve of her. In that conversation my gf pointed out to me that, unlike my mom, she never makes me do anything I don't want to. The only time she tries to change my actions is when she sees that my motive is to please my mom, as opposed to do what I trully want to do. I then asked her, how about physics? In case of my studying all the time it has nothing to do with my mom. Her answer was that in case of physics this is my fixaction due to Asperger, so it is a different story since it goes to abnormal extend.

In other words, the implication of this is that she views my physics as part of Asperger, which is what gives her attitude about it. I can further support this point. She believes her father, also, has Asperger's. She believes that the reason he watches TV a lot is because it is his Asperger's-related fixation (although I don't agree with her on this point -- in my mind, watching TV is a sign of laziness, not a fixation, and laziness has nothing to do with Asperger). Anyway, both of her parents neglected her when she was growing up. In the past she was comparing the way I neglected her for physics to the way her father neglected her for TV. One thing I suspect is that if she didn't blame my physics, or his TV, on Asperger, she would have seen that one is career and the other is hobby, and they are not to be compared. But, due to her thinking that both are part of Asperger, she thinks physics is REALLY my hobby, it just "happened" that one can make career out of it; then, a natural consequence of that belief, would be hurt feelings that I neglect her for a hobby.

That is one reason I make this post. You guys don't have Asperger. So, if some of you guys still overfocus to the extend that I do, then the implication would be that may be this is not a symptom of my Asperger, but rather the one of being a scientist. And, if such is true, then perhaps I am a scientist who happened to have Asperger's, as opposed to someone who decided to be a scientist because of the Asperger.

Moonbear said:
Basically, you need to decide your priorities. If career is more important than your relationships, your relationships will suffer. If your relationships are more important than your career, you may be slower to promotion but happier at home. Or, seek out someone who shares your goals. If you find another workaholic, you may get along well.

Are you saying that all successful physicists have unhappy wifes?

Shai-Hulud said:
If she expects more socialization out of you than it is your natural tenancy to give, she may just end up being an incompatible partner. As that a romantic relationship is generally a purely social human affair, it would be important for a romantic interest to be comfortable with your inherent patterns of socialization.

Just to clarify, she does not expect a lot of socialization, if you are talking about socializaiton with her friends and such. In fact, she only sees her friends may be once in two months, if even that. What she expects is the time we spend together, by ourselves. Usually, it is in our appartment.

causalset said:
Speaking of the issue of my prospects, one thing that my gf said a couple of times is that, in her honest opinion, she doesn't see how I would become a professor given the poor social skills I have right now. I suffer from Asperger's Syndrome, which is considered to be a mild form of autism. While this does not affect my academic skills (in fact, a lot of ppl with Asperger are quite successful in their field of interest), it severely impairs my social skills. So, my gf said that she doesn't see how I would be able to be a professor at a university where I have to teach; the only option she sees for me is to work in a research institute where teaching is not part of the duties.

I called her on it by asking whether it means that she thinks I shouldn't take my career seriously because it won't work anyway. Her response was that no she does not mean that. Quite the opposite: she thinks I CAN improve my social skills by socializing more (in particular, with her), but that means I shouldn't devolte so much time to physics that I don't have time for social skills. I guess I hope that the latter is her real motivation as opposed to the former.

To me it seems that her blaming my Asperger is part of the problem. Fixation on a narrow area of interest is common among people with Asperger, and she viewes my research in physics as such fixation. In fact, I remember the following conversation. We were talking about my controlling mom who views me as a little kid (insists on calling me every day, asks whether I ate and what I ate, bends down to tie my shoes, etc) and tries to find ways to sabotages my relationship with my gf simply because she doesn't approve of her. In that conversation my gf pointed out to me that, unlike my mom, she never makes me do anything I don't want to. The only time she tries to change my actions is when she sees that my motive is to please my mom, as opposed to do what I trully want to do. I then asked her, how about physics? In case of my studying all the time it has nothing to do with my mom. Her answer was that in case of physics this is my fixaction due to Asperger, so it is a different story since it goes to abnormal extend.

In other words, the implication of this is that she views my physics as part of Asperger, which is what gives her attitude about it. I can further support this point. She believes her father, also, has Asperger's. She believes that the reason he watches TV a lot is because it is his Asperger's-related fixation (although I don't agree with her on this point -- in my mind, watching TV is a sign of laziness, not a fixation, and laziness has nothing to do with Asperger). Anyway, both of her parents neglected her when she was growing up. In the past she was comparing the way I neglected her for physics to the way her father neglected her for TV. One thing I suspect is that if she didn't blame my physics, or his TV, on Asperger, she would have seen that one is career and the other is hobby, and they are not to be compared. But, due to her thinking that both are part of Asperger, she thinks physics is REALLY my hobby, it just "happened" that one can make career out of it; then, a natural consequence of that belief, would be hurt feelings that I neglect her for a hobby.

That is one reason I make this post. You guys don't have Asperger. So, if some of you guys still overfocus to the extend that I do, then the implication would be that may be this is not a symptom of my Asperger, but rather the one of being a scientist. And, if such is true, then perhaps I am a scientist who happened to have Asperger's, as opposed to someone who decided to be a scientist because of the Asperger.
This is a fascinating debate you and your girlfriend have. Regardless, she's the one with the problem, which is that she wants more attention than she is getting. Your having Asperger's makes for an easy target: she can argue you are the one with the problem.

I think all relationships are lopsided to some degree where one person wants more time together than the other, and this has nothing to do with any neurological syndromes: it is a dynamic that occurs across all levels of health, socio-economic status, and culture. In every case the person who wants more time can come up with some plausible argument to cast the other person as the one whose doing something wrong, who has the wrong attitude. In reality it's a matter of no-fault differences between people.

You might consider spending more time with her simply because she wants you to, not because there's any validity to her argument about your tendency to fixate needing fixing. After all, it's nice to be wanted. Additionally, the big breakthrough in causal sets may require exposure to something, some concept or pattern or experience you won't get by sitting and fixating on causal sets. Often people make no progress until they get their mind off the subject.

zoobyshoe;2201213she's the one with the problem ... [I said:
you[/I] are the one with the problem.
Joy, we're overloading the word "problem". :frown:

Often people make no progress until they get their mind off the subject.
Hah! You won't believe how many good ideas I get during the drive home from work. :smile: