Density of primes between square numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses the density of primes near the geometric average of two consecutive square numbers. One person suggests that this may work for powers greater than two, while another disagrees and mentions the trivial extreme. The conversation ends with a polite apology and acknowledgement of previous posts.
Loren Booda
Is the density of primes considerably greater nearer the geometric average of two consecutive square numbers?

[Think of deconstructing a square of integral area n2 into composite rectangles of diverging (n-1)(n+1), (n-2)(n+2), (n-3)(n+3)... .]

This reasoning may work to a lesser yet significant degree with powers greater than two.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm boggled as to why you would say "the geometric average of two consecutive square numbers" rather than "the product of two consecutive numbers".

Unless you stick to very small numbers, I can see no reason why the answer to your question would be "yes". What would suggest it?

I can't make any sense out of the rest of your post. I mean that literally: not a judgement of right or wrong, but as a judgement of whether or not I can extract meaning from that sequence of words and symbols.

Thank you for being understanding, Hurkyl. Mine is a half-baked idea.

Loren Booda said:
Is the density of primes considerably greater nearer the geometric average of two consecutive square numbers?

How near?

I'm almost sure this isn't true unless taken to the trivial extreme that n(n+1) is itself composite for n > 1.

CR,

I appreciate your input. I should look before I lemma.

Loren: I didn't see your other post (#3) before I posted -- sorry. I wouldn't have posted otherwise.

1. What is the significance of the density of primes between square numbers?

The density of primes between square numbers is an important measure in understanding the distribution of prime numbers. It helps us understand how often prime numbers occur within a certain range and can provide insights into the patterns and gaps in the distribution of primes.

2. How is the density of primes between square numbers calculated?

The density of primes between square numbers can be calculated by dividing the number of primes between two consecutive square numbers by the difference between those two numbers. This gives us a decimal value, which can be used to compare the density of primes in different ranges.

3. Is there a formula or equation for the density of primes between square numbers?

There is no specific formula or equation for the density of primes between square numbers. It is simply the ratio of the number of primes to the difference between two consecutive square numbers. However, there are various mathematical models and theories that attempt to explain the distribution of primes.

4. How does the density of primes between square numbers change as the range of numbers increases?

The density of primes between square numbers tends to decrease as the range of numbers increases. This is because the gaps between prime numbers become larger as the numbers get bigger, resulting in a lower density of primes. However, this does not mean that the number of primes decreases as the range increases, as there are infinitely many primes.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying the density of primes between square numbers?

Studying the density of primes between square numbers has various real-world applications. It is used in cryptography to generate secure prime numbers for encryption. It is also used in number theory, which has applications in fields such as computer science, physics, and engineering. Additionally, understanding the distribution of primes can provide insights into the fundamental properties of numbers and their relationships.