PF PHOTO CONTEST - Around the house (Aug 29-Sep 5)

In summary, the photo contest is about getting creative with what you have around the house. Members are allowed to post digital photos of anything inside their walls. There are some restrictions, such as photo size and cropping. At the end of the contest, a poll will be open for members to vote for their favorite picture.
matthyaouw
Gold Member
Around the house

Get creative with what you've got close to hand. Show me photos taken within the walls of your house. Not in the garden, not the view out the window but what's actually inside it. Get snapping :smile:

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
The front sitting room near all my indoor plants. This is my most favorite sitting area in the house, especially when my orchids are in full bloom.

img6410.jpg

Zz.

http://www.funnypictures.net.au/images/worlds-messiest-desk-ever-seen1.jpg"

In all seriousness, this one is just a little too personal...and I don't like to share personal pics with strangers.

Last edited by a moderator:
junglebeast said:

In all seriousness, this one is just a little too personal...and I don't like to share personal pics with strangers.

Don't worry, that's not the messiest I've seen.

junglebeast said:

Mmmm, maybe it's time for a flat screen monitor. :tongue:

24fihs9.jpg

A rare original Frederic Remington?

Nope, some home creativity with useless rags, wire, resin and paint.

Last edited:
Wow Andre! Bonus points for making those!

binzing said:
Don't worry, that's not the messiest I've seen.

OMG. It might be the messiest I've ever seen though! But it makes me feel much better about my on-campus office.

Andre, that is very creepy! Especially at night I imagine

I just moved into an absolutely gorgeous new loft-style unit in the Infinity building in downtown San Francisco, with nine foot tall floor-to-ceiling windows on both floors. Unfortunately, it's still full of boxes and half-hung curtains, so... it's not exactly photogenic just yet. Too bad you didn't post this contest next month!

- Warren

This is this evening's view from my study into our music room, which currently contains 8 violins (of 5 sizes), a viola, 2 cellos, 2 pianos, 2 keyboards, 2 guitars, clarinet, flute, several recorders and miscellaneous things which make a noise when hit, and a metronome. See how many you can spot!

n2cxmd.jpg

You made those Andre? They are great.

Your music room is impressive, Jonathan.I picked up a second had flash unit the other day so here's one of my attempts to figure out how to use it. Backed on a piece of black card and using a piece of white paper as a reflector off to the right somewhere.
heffalump.jpg

Jonathan Scott said:
This is this evening's view from my study into our music room, which currently contains 8 violins (of 5 sizes), a viola, 2 cellos, 2 pianos, 2 keyboards, 2 guitars, clarinet, flute, several recorders and miscellaneous things which make a noise when hit, and a metronome. See how many you can spot!

That's a very expensive room! is you or your dad rich?

jobyts said:
That's a very expensive room! is you or your dad rich?

Not after buying that lot! :smile:

However, it's not as if there's any Stradivarius or Steinway in there; they are all functional tools for everyday use rather than valuable antiques. Most of the "excess" violins are small ones on which my children have been learning.

The rooms (study and music room, plus extra bedroom above) cost much more than the instruments; the double doors lead into the original house.

Ms Music said:
Wow Andre! Bonus points for making those!

matthyaouw said:
You made those Andre? They are great.

Thanks but no, however I have passed the compliments to the artist in the family.

Any more entries anyone? compo closes tomorrow some time

http://www.bpp.com.pl/IMG/marzena_around_the_house.jpg

Photographer in our house during the fancy-dress party. I was photographer too :smile:

Argh, she is using my camera!

Note non-standard use of a thumb on the shutter button :biggrin:

Edit: I wonder if she counts as a cute chick?

Last edited:
wazon.jpg

matthyaouw said:
Any more entries anyone? compo closes tomorrow some time

I keep trying to get a shot, but every time I get close, Tsu closes the shower curtain.

Ivan Seeking said:
I keep trying to get a shot, but every time I get close, Tsu closes the shower curtain.
Darned wives! They're all alike!

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/236/p1010610processed2pfaro.jpg

Come to my house, if you dare.
DSC00044.jpg

Borek said:
You keep it under shower?

No, I gave up on getting shot of Tsu in the shower because she clearly has the wrong attitude about this. I keep telling her that it's art, but she says it's bull.

Monique said:
Come to my house, if you dare.
DSC00044.jpg

Wasn't he in the Jackson Thriller movie? :biggrin:

1. What is the theme of the PF Photo Contest for the week of Aug 29-Sep 5?

The theme for this week's PF Photo Contest is "Around the House". This means that all submitted photos should showcase something found inside or around a house, such as furniture, decor, or household items.

2. How can I submit my photo for the contest?

To submit your photo for the contest, you can either post it on social media with the hashtag #PFAroundTheHouse or email it to the designated contest email address. Make sure to include your name and a brief description of your photo.

3. Can I submit more than one photo for the contest?

Yes, you can submit multiple photos for the contest. However, each individual can only win one prize, so if you have multiple winning photos, only the highest ranked one will be eligible for a prize.

4. What criteria will my photo be judged on?

Photos will be judged on creativity, originality, and adherence to the theme. Judges will also take into account technical aspects such as composition, lighting, and clarity.

5. How will the winners be determined?

The winners will be determined by a panel of judges selected by the PF Photo Contest team. They will review all submitted photos and select the top three winners based on the judging criteria listed above. The winners will be announced on the PF Photo Contest social media pages and contacted via email.