Quantum Holograms: What do you think of skepdic.com?

• Thread starter Galteeth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Quantum
In summary, while the author is right to try to separate pseudo-science from real science, some of his statements go too far.
Galteeth
I find it a very interesting and useful website, but it seems sometimes the author makes over general or unsupported statements. Specifically, i was reading his article on "quantam hologram."

http://www.skepdic.com/quantumhologram.html

While he is right to try to separate pseudo-science from real science, I think some of the statements go too far.

specifically "Perception is not holographic and there is no evidence that physical objects leave behind a holographic record of their existence."

I thought there was some evidence that they do?

Physics news on Phys.org

Galteeth said:
I find it a very interesting and useful website, but it seems sometimes the author makes over general or unsupported statements. Specifically, i was reading his article on "quantam hologram."

http://www.skepdic.com/quantumhologram.html

While he is right to try to separate pseudo-science from real science, I think some of the statements go too far.

specifically "Perception is not holographic and there is no evidence that physical objects leave behind a holographic record of their existence."

I thought there was some evidence that they do?

I don't know any evidence of holographic records. Can you cite any source?

As soon as he equated the words "theoretical" and "imaginary", he lost me. Purple dragons and flying pigs are imaginary - thing made up based on nothing real. Something "theoretical" is predicted to exist by a mathematical model based on real-world observations and measurements, and by applying the laws of physics. While theoretical entities could be imaginary if the theory is wrong, imaginary things never exist except in cases of pure luck or coincidence. Most siginficantly, there is no good reason to think that purely imaginary entities exist. Theoretical entities often do exist and we have very good reasons for thinking they do.

If anyone has a scientific paper published in an appropriate journal that describes these holograms, send me a PM with a link. Until then this will all be treated as bunk.

I read the book, The Holographic Universe, many years ago. It was apparently such bunk that I don't remember anything about it. But it was a popular book with new-agers and the like back in the 1970s or 80s.

Last edited:

1. What is a quantum hologram?

A quantum hologram is a theoretical concept that suggests that the universe is made up of tiny, indivisible units of energy and information called quanta. These units are interconnected and contain a complete representation of the entire universe within them.

2. How does a quantum hologram work?

The exact mechanics of how a quantum hologram works is still being studied and debated by scientists. However, the general idea is that every particle and energy wave in the universe is connected in a vast network, and these connections create a holographic image of the entire universe.

3. Is there evidence to support the existence of quantum holograms?

There is ongoing research and experimentation in the field of quantum mechanics that suggests the existence of a holographic universe. However, there is currently no concrete evidence to definitively prove the existence of quantum holograms.

4. What is skepdic.com?

Skepdic.com is a website that investigates and critiques various claims and beliefs, including those related to science and pseudoscience. It aims to provide an objective and skeptical analysis of these claims.

5. What is your opinion on skepdic.com's stance on quantum holograms?

As a scientist, I believe it is important to approach all theories and claims with a critical and open-minded perspective. While some of the information on skepdic.com may be thought-provoking, it is always important to verify and explore scientific concepts through rigorous research and experimentation.