Associates degree to physics bachelor?

In summary, an Associate's degree in Physics covers foundational topics in physics and is a two-year program, while a Bachelor's degree in Physics is a four-year program and covers more advanced topics. Credits from an Associate's degree can be transferred to a Bachelor's degree program, but the number of credits varies by institution. Entry-level career opportunities are available with an Associate's degree, but a Bachelor's degree is recommended for career advancement. It is possible to go directly into a Bachelor's degree program in Physics, but additional courses may be required. While an Associate's degree can open up some career opportunities, a Bachelor's degree is recommended for a career as a physicist.
Rhine720
I plan to be finishing high school with an Associates thanks to dual enrollment. I was wonder, how long from that, would it take for me to receive a bachelors in physics? 2 years? more?

Physics news on Phys.org
That depends on which classes you took to get that Associates. What math and physics courses have you taken?

Last edited:
Depends what classes you've taken. You will need bunch of math and physics classes, namely:

-a three semester calculus sequence
-ordinary differential equations
-linear algebra
-a 3-4 semester introductory physics sequence
-probably 1-2 semesters of chemistry

1. What is the difference between an Associate's degree and a Bachelor's degree in Physics?

An Associate's degree in Physics typically covers foundational topics in physics, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism. It is a two-year program that allows students to gain a basic understanding of the subject. A Bachelor's degree in Physics, on the other hand, is a four-year program that goes into much more depth and covers advanced topics such as quantum mechanics, relativity, and astrophysics.

2. Can I transfer my credits from an Associate's degree in Physics to a Bachelor's degree program?

Yes, many universities have transfer agreements in place that allow students to transfer credits from an Associate's degree program in Physics to a Bachelor's degree program. However, the number of credits that can be transferred varies from institution to institution, so it is important to check with the specific university you plan to attend.

3. What kind of career opportunities are available with an Associate's degree in Physics?

With an Associate's degree in Physics, you can pursue entry-level positions in a variety of fields, such as engineering, research, data analysis, and teaching. However, to advance in your career, it is recommended to obtain a Bachelor's degree in Physics or a related field.

4. Is it possible to go directly into a Bachelor's degree program in Physics without getting an Associate's degree first?

Yes, it is possible to go directly into a Bachelor's degree program in Physics without obtaining an Associate's degree first. However, this may require taking additional courses to fulfill the prerequisite requirements for the program. It is important to check with the specific university you plan to attend for their specific requirements.

5. Can I still pursue a career in physics if I only have an Associate's degree?

While having an Associate's degree in Physics can open up some career opportunities, it is recommended to obtain a Bachelor's degree in Physics or a related field if you want to have a career as a physicist. However, there are other career paths in fields such as engineering or data analysis that may be open to individuals with an Associate's degree in Physics.