Is Hydrogen Combustion a Solid or Liquid?

In summary, the main difference between a liquid and a solid is the way in which the atoms/molecules interact.
wasteofo2
Well? Is something like a shirt considered a solid, even though it can easily take the shape of it's container?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
My instincts say 'solid.' Thin gold leaf is likewise very flexible, but also solid in my book.

Think of it this way, if you try to cram a shirt, or any material, in a container there will still be air pockets, thus not complete conformity. Also, the molecules of cloth are locked and cannot freely move about and slide past each other. Vote: Solid

Solid!

A liquid is free flowing.

Here's a brain buster:

Smoke, a solid, or liquid, or gas?

OUUU. This one is rather interesting!

Well I vote a complex malleable porous solid.

Cloth is most definitely solid.

Smoke is primarily composed of micron sized carbon particles - these are solid.

Smoke is solid. It is tiny solid particles suspended in air.

I suppose there could be liquid smoke - a by-product of combustion that takes the form of tiny liquid droplets suspended in air, but I am not familiar with anything that would produce it.

Gasses could never be considered smoke, since all gasses are infinitely miscible.

Njorl

More precisely smoke is a colloid: mixture of solid and gas or liquid and gas, basically a mixture of components in different phases.

Example of liquid smoke: steam coming out of the tea cooker :tongue2: basically a mist (mist is a colloid).

Addressing the original question, the ability to take the shape of the container is a poor way to characterize the state of matter. The distinction is made on the basis of inter-atomic/inter-molecular interactions. The strength of these interactions is manifest in macroscopic properties such as viscosity.

wasteofo2 said:
Well? Is something like a shirt considered a solid, even though it can easily take the shape of it's container?
What happens if the container is bigger than the shirt.. it won't take take the shape of the container..

Njorl said:
I suppose there could be liquid smoke - a by-product of combustion that takes the form of tiny liquid droplets suspended in air, but I am not familiar with anything that would produce it.
Hydrogen in oxygen?

1. What is the definition of a solid and a liquid?

A solid is a state of matter that has a definite shape and volume, while a liquid is a state of matter that has a definite volume but takes the shape of its container.

2. Is cloth considered a solid or a liquid?

Cloth is considered a solid because it has a definite shape and does not flow like a liquid.

3. Why is cloth sometimes described as a liquid?

Cloth can sometimes be described as a liquid because it can flow and take the shape of its container when it is in a molten state, such as when it is being produced.

4. Is cloth a solid or a liquid at room temperature?

At room temperature, cloth is a solid because it has a definite shape and does not flow like a liquid. However, it can become a liquid if it is heated to its melting point.

5. Can cloth exhibit properties of both a solid and a liquid?

Yes, cloth can exhibit properties of both a solid and a liquid, depending on its state and conditions. For example, it can have a definite shape like a solid, but also flow and take the shape of its container like a liquid when it is in a molten state.