How can radial probability densities be huge when they should be less than 1?

In summary, The conversation is about the radial probability density and probability of finding an electron at a certain distance from the nucleus in an atom. The formula for the probability is P(r) = |rR(r)|^2 = [r^2 / (8a_o^3)] [(2-r/a_o)^2] exp(-r/a_o). It is mentioned that the integral of P(r).dr must be 1, but this does not mean that P(r) has to be less than 1. In fact, P(r) can be large for a small range of r in order for the integral to add up to one.
jaejoon89
I have ~5.24a_o where a_o is the Bohr radius given by 5.291772E-11 m. This is my r value. But I am getting HUGE radial probability densities ~10^8! How is this possible? I thought they have to be less than 1 since it's a probability!

P(r) = |rR(r)|^2 = [r^2 / (8a_o^3)] [(2-r/a_o)^2] exp(-r/a_o)

Physics news on Phys.org
i think you're confusing probability denisty with probabilty

the probability of finding the electron in between r and r = dr is P(r).dr

So the integral of P(r).dr must be 1.

Although the limit of the integral goes from 0 to infinity, P(r) is only really non-zero for a few a_0. Thinking of the intergal in terms of area, as the span of r is so small, P(r) must be large for the integral to add up to one

1. What is radial probability density?

Radial probability density is a measure of the likelihood of finding an electron at a certain distance from the nucleus in an atom. It is represented by a graph that shows the probability of finding an electron at a specific distance from the nucleus.

2. How is radial probability density calculated?

Radial probability density is calculated by using the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of electrons in an atom. The equation takes into account the electron's energy, the potential energy of the nucleus, and the shape of the electron's wave function.

3. What is the significance of radial probability density?

Radial probability density is significant because it helps us understand the distribution of electrons in an atom. It gives us information about the likelihood of finding an electron at a certain distance from the nucleus, which is important in determining the electron's energy level and chemical behavior.

4. How does radial probability density change with increasing distance from the nucleus?

As the distance from the nucleus increases, the radial probability density decreases. This is because the electron's probability of being found at a greater distance from the nucleus decreases due to the attractive force of the nucleus. This is represented by the decreasing slope of the radial probability density graph.

5. Can the radial probability density of an electron ever be zero?

No, the radial probability density of an electron can never be zero. This is because there is always a non-zero probability of finding an electron at any distance from the nucleus. However, the radial probability density can approach zero as the distance from the nucleus increases, indicating a very low probability of finding the electron at that distance.