Optimizing Reactive Power Injection with a Single Phase Inverter

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on simulating reactive power injection with a single phase inverter. They have a PI based control system and are considering a feed forward compensation approach. They are also looking for input on any factors to consider and if anyone has implemented this before.
barrymon
Hello,
I am trying to simulate reactive power injection with a single phase inverter. The constant dc bus voltage on the input side is maintained much higher than 169.71V (considering 120V rms ac output). I have generated the current reference for the control (a PI based system) but it doesn't seem enough. Can anyone there let me know what all factors I should consider? Or is an alternate approach better- like a feed forward compensation? Any help would be appreciated. Has anyone simulated/implemented this previously?

Engineering news on Phys.org
barrymon said:
The constant dc bus voltage on the input side is maintained much higher than 169.71V (considering 120V rms ac output).
That doesn't make much sense. Only the AC side voltages matter.

The higher the AC terminal RMS voltage, the more positive the MVAR generation. It's that simple. You need to feed back the MVAR to a regulator that can vary the AC RMS voltage. PI control is probably sufficient.

1. What is reactive power injection?

Reactive power injection is the process of injecting or supplying reactive power into an electrical system to help balance the flow of electricity and maintain voltage stability.

2. Why is reactive power injection important?

Reactive power injection is important because it helps improve the efficiency and reliability of the electrical system by reducing voltage fluctuations and ensuring a smooth flow of electricity.

3. How is reactive power injection achieved?

Reactive power injection is achieved through the use of devices such as capacitors, inductors, and synchronous condensers which can generate or absorb reactive power as needed.

4. What are the benefits of reactive power injection?

The benefits of reactive power injection include improved power factor, reduced line losses, increased system stability, and improved voltage regulation.

5. How does reactive power injection affect the power grid?

Reactive power injection can help reduce congestion and improve the overall efficiency of the power grid by balancing the reactive power flow and maintaining optimal voltage levels.