Loudness of sound in air, liquid and solid

In summary: I really appreciate it! In summary, sound in gases is the loudest because the gas particles progress and strike the eardrums with maximal force.
ap_cycles
Hi,

It is common knowledge that the speed of sound is greatest in solids, then liquids and finally gases. But just thinking, if all things remain equal, how will the loudness of sound compare in the 3 states?

My GUESS is that sound in gases could be the loudest. Loudness is defined as the amplitude of sound waves induced in the eardrums. In gases, the inter particle bonds is very weak, thus the gas particles can progress and strike the eardrums with maximal force, causing large amplitude. However, in solids, inter particle bonds is strong, thus these strong bonds will hold back the solid particles and the solid particles will not strike the ear drums with maximal force.

Why do fellow forummers think of my reasoning? Will be very glad to hear from you guys and gals!

Physics news on Phys.org
No, that depends upon the elasticity of the gas, liquid or solid- how strongly the material recovers from the distortion of the sound wave and so how little energy is lost to the material itself.

Loudness is a subjective term. Measurement of "loudness' in air is the sound pressure level or SPL. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound
It is also defined in water, but with a different reference pressure:
"Commonly used reference sound pressures, defined in the standard ANSI S1.1-1994, are 20 µPa in air and 1 µPa in water. "
Bob S

HallsofIvy said:
No, that depends upon the elasticity of the gas, liquid or solid- how strongly the material recovers from the distortion of the sound wave and so how little energy is lost to the material itself.

Hi HallsofIvy,

Thanks for your reply.

I understand the idea of elasticity (well, more or less). But i am not sure how the strength of elasticity relates to energy loss. According to your reasoning, does it then gather that the less strong the material recovers from the distortion of the sound wave, more energy is lost to the material itself? If so, what is the energy lost as? I mean, other than recovering from the distortion of the sound wave, what other outcomes are possible. (e.g. atoms moving about more randomly in other directions, other than in the direction back to the original?)

My last query is : when we talk about a elastic material, does the word "elastic" mean the same way as "elastic" when 2 particles collide, resulting in no energy loss (i.e. in the context of elastic collisions)?

Thanks everyone for your wonderful replies.

What is loudness of sound?

The loudness of sound refers to the perception of how intense or strong a sound is. It is often measured in decibels (dB) and can vary based on the medium in which the sound is traveling.

How is loudness of sound measured?

Loudness of sound is typically measured using a decibel (dB) scale. This scale is logarithmic, meaning that a small change in decibel level represents a large change in perceived loudness. A sound level meter or decibel meter is used to measure the sound pressure level in decibels.

How does loudness of sound differ in air, liquid, and solid?

The loudness of sound can vary in different mediums due to their varying densities and properties. In general, sound travels faster in denser mediums such as solids, making it louder. However, the perception of loudness also depends on the individual's distance from the sound source and their sensitivity to sound.

What factors affect the loudness of sound?

The loudness of sound can be affected by several factors, including the intensity of the sound source, the distance from the sound source, and the medium through which the sound is traveling. Other factors such as the temperature and humidity of the medium can also impact the loudness of sound.

Can loudness of sound be harmful?

Exposure to loud sounds, especially for extended periods of time, can be harmful to one's hearing. The intensity of sound is measured in decibels, and sounds above 85 dB can cause damage to the delicate structures in the ear. It is important to protect one's ears and limit exposure to loud noises to prevent potential hearing loss.