What is the tension on a clothes line with a 4.0 kg magpie in the center?

In summary, a 4.0 kg magpie lands in the middle of a horizontal plastic wire on a clothes line, causing it to depress by 4.0 cm. By creating a triangle and solving for theta, the magnitude of tension in the wire can be determined to be 2.0 x 10^3 N. However, after considering all the forces acting on the bird, the correct answer is 1000 N.
Admiral_
This question came up in my physics holiday homework and I can't seem to get the correct answer :(

Homework Statement

A 4.0 kg magpie lands in the middle of a perfectly horizontal plastic wire on a clothes line stretched between two poles 4.0 m apart. The magpie lands in the centre of the wire depressing it by a distance of 4.0 cm. What is the magnitude on the tension in the wire?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Created a triangle with angle theta at the centre of the clothes line with a hypotenuse of 2 m (as its half the clothes line) and the side opposite the angle being 0.04 m (the 4cm depression).
Solving for theta yields 1.146 degrees
Now I have a new triangle (same angle to the horizon though) with the opposite side equal to 40 to represent the upwards tension supporting the bird ( we use g=10...) and solve for the hypotenuse: 10/sin(1.146) = 2.0 x 10^3 N

However the answer in the book is 1000.
Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Let x denote the extension of the wire downwards and L the natural length of the rope. If theta is the angle b/w x and length of wire in deformed state,
you should get cos theta = x/(L/2) after a bit of approximation.ie. taking (L/2) outside the root from denominator.

2T cos(theta) = mg

T= mg*L/(4*x)

Okay using you notation I do get to cos theta = x/(L/2) = 2x/L
But I can't figure out where the 2 came from in 2T cos(theta) = mg, are we using cos(theta) = adjacent side/ hypotenuse i.e cos(theta) = mg/ tension?
I understand how you got from there to T=mg*L/(4*x) however.

Thanks for the quick reply!

If you draw a free body diagram of the bird, you should note that there are 3 forces acting on it: Its weight acting down, the tension in the left side of the cable acting away from the bird up and to the left, and the tension in the right side of the cable acting away from the bird up and to the right. From the symmetry of the problem, you should note that the tension forces are equal. By summing forces in the y direction, 1/2 the weight must be carried by the vertical component of the left cable tension, and 1/2 the weight must be carried by the vertical component of the right cable tension. Note that you said
Now I have a new triangle (same angle to the horizon though) with the opposite side equal to 40 to represent the upwards tension supporting the bird
when you should have said '20' instead of '40'.

Ah! That makes perfect sense. Thanks to both of you for your help.

1. What causes tension on a clothes line?

The weight of the clothes hanging on the line causes tension, as well as the force of gravity pulling down on the line.

2. How much weight can a clothes line hold?

The weight capacity of a clothes line depends on the type of line and how it is secured, but on average, a clothes line can hold up to 20-30 pounds of weight.

3. How do you adjust tension on a clothes line?

The tension on a clothes line can be adjusted by tightening or loosening the line at the anchor points or by using a tensioning device such as a turnbuckle or a clothesline tightener.

4. What happens if a clothes line is too tight?

If a clothes line is too tight, it can put excessive strain on the line and the anchor points, leading to potential damage or breakage. It can also cause the clothes to stretch or distort.

5. How can I prevent sagging or drooping of a clothes line?

To prevent sagging or drooping of a clothes line, make sure it is properly secured at both anchor points and use a tensioning device if needed. Also, avoid overloading the line with too much weight.