Line integral around an ellipse

In summary, the line integral \int_{\gamma} xy dx + x^2 dy is equal to 0 for both cases described, as shown through graphical analysis and a symmetry argument. However, using the fact that the integral is an exact differential, it can be simplified to depend only on the endpoints, resulting in the second integral being trivially zero and the first integral being equal to \Phi(-2,0)-\Phi(2,0)=0.
shoplifter

Homework Statement

What is [tex]\int_{\gamma} xy dx + x^2 dy[/tex] in each of the following cases?

1. [tex]\gamma[/tex] is the lower half of the curve [tex]2x^2 + 3y^2 = 8[/tex], traveled from [tex](2,0)[/tex] to [tex](-2,0)[/tex].

2. [tex]\gamma[/tex] is the full curve [tex]2x^2 + 3y^2 = 8[/tex], traveled counterclockwise.

Homework Equations

The line integral formula, I suppose. The fact that the integral can be expressed as the dot product of the vector field [tex](xy, x^2)[/tex] with the unit tangent vector to the curve can also be helpful.

The Attempt at a Solution

I parametrized the curves for (1) and (2) in different ways, viz.

1. [tex]x = t, y = -2\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}\left(1 - \frac{t^2}{4}\right)}[/tex].

2. [tex]x = 2\cos{\theta}, y = 2\sqrt{2/3}\sin{\theta}[/tex].

Then standard integration rules, but I came up with 0 for both the answers. Am I correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
For no.1, the xy dx part is equal to 0, by symmetry: for every point (x,y) [which contributes xy dx] on the curve, there is another point (-x,y) [which contributes -xy dx] on the opposite side of the y axis. dx is always positive on this curve, so they cancel each other out.

We can also see that the x^2 dy part is equal to 0: because for the first half of the curve, dy is negative, for the second half, dy is positive, while x^2 is positive and mirrored. so the first half cancels out the second half again.So 0 seems right.

2nd question follows easily from the first by splitting it up into 2 integrals: first around the bottom half and then around the top half of the ellipse. We already know from the first question that the bottom half = 0, and by symmetry the top half must be 0 too. 0+0=0.Symmetry arguments are good for checking your work.

shoplifter said:

Homework Statement

What is [tex]\int_{\gamma} xy dx + x^2 dy[/tex] in each of the following cases?

1. [tex]\gamma[/tex] is the lower half of the curve [tex]2x^2 + 3y^2 = 8[/tex], traveled from [tex](2,0)[/tex] to [tex](-2,0)[/tex].

2. [tex]\gamma[/tex] is the full curve [tex]2x^2 + 3y^2 = 8[/tex], traveled counterclockwise.

Homework Equations

The line integral formula, I suppose. The fact that the integral can be expressed as the dot product of the vector field [tex](xy, x^2)[/tex] with the unit tangent vector to the curve can also be helpful.

The Attempt at a Solution

I parametrized the curves for (1) and (2) in different ways, viz.

1. [tex]x = t, y = -2\sqrt{\frac{2}{3}\left(1 - \frac{t^2}{4}\right)}[/tex].

2. [tex]x = 2\cos{\theta}, y = 2\sqrt{2/3}\sin{\theta}[/tex].

Then standard integration rules, but I came up with 0 for both the answers. Am I correct?

I checked your answers and they are correct. Here is a graphical analysis of the problem in both cases:
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/8343/intego.jpg

AB

Last edited by a moderator:
boboYO said:
For no.1, the xy dx part is equal to 0, by symmetry: for every point (x,y) [which contributes xy dx] on the curve, there is another point (-x,y) [which contributes -xy dx] on the opposite side of the y axis. dx is always positive on this curve, so they cancel each other out.

We can also see that the x^2 dy part is equal to 0: because for the first half of the curve, dy is negative, for the second half, dy is positive, while x^2 is positive and mirrored. so the first half cancels out the second half again.

So 0 seems right.

2nd question follows easily from the first by splitting it up into 2 integrals: first around the bottom half and then around the top half of the ellipse. We already know from the first question that the bottom half = 0, and by symmetry the top half must be 0 too. 0+0=0.

Symmetry arguments are good for checking your work.

A brilliant technical argument, but less mathematical. :wink:

[STRIKE]Note that [tex]d\Phi(x,y)=xydx+x^2dy[/tex] is an exact differential, so the integrals depend only on the endpoints. (I'll leave it to you to find [tex]\Phi(x,y)[/tex].) The second integral is then trivially zero because the start and end points are the same. The first integral is equal to [tex]\Phi(-2,0)-\Phi(2,0)=0[/tex].[/STRIKE]

Last edited:
many thanks, guys! i can't find [tex]\Phi(x)[/tex] though, i keep just missing it by a scalar factor. it would seem that [tex]\Phi = x^2y[/tex] would work, but it just misses it. poincare's lemma doesn't seem to help either. am i missing something obvious? :(

Why does [tex]\Phi(x,y)=x^2y[/tex] not work? You could add on a constant, obviously, but that wouldn't make a difference in evaluating the integral.

oh, i thought because [tex]d(x^2y) = 2xy dx + x^2 dy[/tex]. how do we get rid of the scalar multiple of 2? it isn't an additive constant, right?

Oh, I'm sorry. I misled you. For some reason I thought there was a two there in the original problem. You're right. It's not exact, so you have to do the integral by hand. (And they were both zero when I did them earlier.)

1. What is a line integral around an ellipse?

A line integral around an ellipse is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus. It involves calculating the sum of a function along a curve that follows the shape of an ellipse. This can be thought of as finding the area under a curve on an elliptical path.

2. How is a line integral around an ellipse calculated?

To calculate a line integral around an ellipse, we use a specific formula known as the line integral formula. This involves breaking down the curve into small segments and calculating the value of the function at each segment. The sum of all these values gives us the line integral around the ellipse.

3. What is the significance of a line integral around an ellipse?

A line integral around an ellipse has various applications in physics and engineering. It is used to calculate work done by a force along a curved path, as well as to find the flux of a vector field through an ellipse. It also has applications in electromagnetism, fluid mechanics, and other fields.

4. Can a line integral around an ellipse be negative?

Yes, a line integral around an ellipse can be negative. This happens when the function being integrated has a negative value at certain points along the curve. The negative value of the function is then multiplied by the length of the curve segment, resulting in a negative contribution to the overall line integral.

5. How is a line integral around an ellipse related to Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates line integrals to double integrals. It states that for a simple closed curve, the line integral around the curve is equal to the double integral of the partial derivatives of the function over the region enclosed by the curve. This theorem can be used to simplify the calculation of line integrals around ellipses and other curves.