Can Goldbach and Polignac's Conjecture be Proven with a Sieve Method?

• Thread starter Andy Lee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the method being discussed uses a sieve to remove multiples of certain numbers from a set of integers. By performing this process indefinitely, at least (1/3)(3/5)*...*(x-2)/x = 1/x of the pairs will remain. The expected minimum pairs that remain is 2, and the remaining pairs follow the form 2N = p+q or 2N = p-q, where p and q are both prime numbers, for all N>=3. However, the proof does not take into account the possibility of negative numbers or the upper limit for relatively prime numbers. Therefore, the proof is not fully valid.
Andy Lee
Yes, the method uses a sieve, but the problem of endpoints has been overcome.

Let S=(..., -5, -3, -1, 1, 3, 5, ...)

Select any integer N>=6.

Remove from S all multiples of 3 (>=9) and the pairs an equal but opposite distance from N. Then at least 1/3 of the pairs will remain.

Remove from S all multiples of 5 (>=25) and the pairs an equal but opposite distance from N. Then at least 3/5 of the pairs will remain.

Remove from S all multiples of any odd number (not 1) greater than or equal to its square, and the pairs an equal but opposite distance from N. Then at least (x-2)/x of the pairs will remain.

Perform the steps indefinitely as iterations rather than in isolation and at least
(1/3)(3/5)*...*(x-2)/x = 1/x of the pairs will remain.

The expected minimum pairs that remain is thus

E = Limx->infinity(1/x)(2x-2) where 2x-2 is the number of elements in S

E = Limx->infinity(2-2/x)

E = 2

There are at least 2 pairs of numbers p=(N+2y), q=(N-2y) if N is odd
(or p=((N-1)+2y), q=((N-1)-2y) if N is even) remaining.

Therefore 2N = p+q where p is prime and abs(q) is prime.

So 2N = p+q or 2N = p-q, p, q both prime, for all N>=3.

QED.

Andy Lee

Physics news on Phys.org
One minor correction:

When removing multiples of 3, 5, ..., x,
the multiples will be >=x2 OR <=-x2

Andy Lee said:
Perform the steps indefinitely as iterations rather than in isolation and at least
(1/3)(3/5)*...*(x-2)/x = 1/x of the pairs will remain.

The multiplication is not correct.

Andy Lee said:
The expected minimum pairs that remain is thus

E = Limx->infinity(1/x)(2x-2) where 2x-2 is the number of elements in S

Not well-defined. The number of elements in S is aleph_0, not 2x-2.

CRGreathouse said:
The multiplication is not correct.

Why?

=CRGreathouse said:
Not well-defined. The number of elements in S is aleph_0, not 2x-2.

What is important here is that x approaches infinity. It does not matter which infinity,
so aleph_0 vs lim x->infinity seems only to be a notational issue.

Andy Lee said:
What is important here is that x approaches infinity. It does not matter which infinity,
so aleph_0 vs lim x->infinity seems only to be a notational issue.

But at no point during the calculation is 2x-2 the cardinality of S. aleph_0 vs. \lim_{x\to \infty} isn't the issue.

CRGreathouse said:
But at no point during the calculation is 2x-2 the cardinality of S. aleph_0 vs. \lim_{x\to \infty} isn't the issue.

Yes, you are correct. The cardinality of S is actually >= 2x-2
This seems to strenghten the proof.

Andy Lee said:
Yes, you are correct. The cardinality of S is actually >= 2x-2
This seems to strenghten the proof.

No, it weakens it. A strengthening would be using fewer numbers than the N available to you. A weakening would be using more. A severe weakening would be using infinitely many numbers.

On the other hand, this one is correct: you can find a pair 2N - k, 2N + k with 2N - k and 2N + k relatively prime to 2, 3, ..., sqrt(2N). Unfortunately this doesn't prove GC because the proof allows k to be arbitrarily large, unlike in GC.

CRGreathouse said:
On the other hand, this one is correct: you can find a pair 2N - k, 2N + k with 2N - k and 2N + k relatively prime to 2, 3, ..., sqrt(2N). Unfortunately this doesn't prove GC because the proof allows k to be arbitrarily large, unlike in GC.

Hence the title of my post!

My proof is of the conjecture:

Every even number greater than 2 can be expressed as either the sum or the difference of exactly two primes.

By the way, I will show in a later post that if a number can be expressed as the difference of two primes then it is true that it must also be expressed as the sum of two primes.

So for now, I have proved "goldbach and polignac". Soon... "goldbach" and "polignac".

Andy Lee said:
My proof is of the conjecture:

Every even number greater than 2 can be expressed as either the sum or the difference of exactly two primes.

It doesn't prove that. Compare your statement to mine.

CRGreathouse said:
It doesn't prove that. Compare your statement to mine.

Your concern seems to be that I allow 2N-k could be negative.

But if -a and b are relatively prime to 2, 3, ... , sqrt(2N) where a, b >0
then a and b are also relatively prime to 2, 3, ... , sqrt(2N).

So why the concern?

CRGreathouse said:

Why do you suggest the upper limit is sqrt(2N)?
This is not in the proof.

Andy Lee said:
Why do you suggest the upper limit is sqrt(2N)?
This is not in the proof.

Do you really think you've proved that the numbers are relatively prime to all integers?

CRGreathouse said:
Do you really think you've proved that the numbers are relatively prime to all integers?

No. Just that the upper limit in your earlier statement should be sqrt(2N+k).

Andy Lee said:
No. Just that the upper limit in your earlier statement should be sqrt(2N+k).

That doesn't appear anywhere in your proof. Try rewriting your proof using that, and you should be able to see why it doesn't work. In particular, for any bound B you can show that there are infinitely many numbers summing to a given number and relatively prime to 2, 3, ..., B, but you can't show that the smallest (in absolute value) is less than B^2.

Last edited:
Andy Lee said:
Why?
The multiplication is not correct because since 9 is not prime then multiples if nine were already removed by the time you reached x = 7. So you have 1/7 = 1/9 which is not so.

ramsey2879 said:
The multiplication is not correct because since 9 is not prime then multiples if nine were already removed by the time you reached x = 7. So you have 1/7 = 1/9 which is not so.

That's why I said that it was wrong. I see now that Andy is using only the odds, not the odd primes, so the multiplication is correct (though weaker than it would be if he used just the primes).

ramsey2879 said:

Recall, the multiplication is to determine the least fraction of numbers remaining.

Remove multiples of 3 from S, then at least 1/3 of the numbers remain.
Remove multiples of 3 and 5 from S, then at least 1/3*3/5 of the numbers remain.
Remove multiples of 3, 5, and 7 from S, then at least 1/3*3/5*5/7 of the numbers remain.
Remove multiples of 3, 5, 7, and 9 from S, then AT LEAST 1/3*1/5*5/7*7/9 of the numbers remain.

I realize removing multiples of 9 is not necessary, but it does not make the last statement incorrect.

I see now that the cardinality of the set S is really x+2, so we have

E = Limx->infinity(1/x)(x+2) where x+2 is the number of elements in S

E = Limx->infinity(1+2/x)

E = 1

Last edited:
Andy Lee said:
I see now that the cardinality of the set S is really x+2, so we have

E = Limx->infinity(1/x)(x+2) where x+2 is the number of elements in S

E = Limx->infinity(1+2/x)

E = 1

So does this prove that there is exactly one pair (p, q) of primes for each k with p - q = k?

:bugeye:

CRGreathouse said:
So does this prove that there is exactly one pair (p, q) of primes for each k with p - q = k?

I'm not sure what your k is, but I believe I have proven that every even number
greater than 4 can be expressed as the sum or the difference of at least one pair of primes.

Recall, E gives the minimum.

I just wanted to point out that Underwood's book Mathematical Cranks (pp. 175-177) discusses your proof. Of course not your exposition, since the book was published 18 years ago, but the core of the proof is the same. If you're still interested in this, Andy, you should look up the book and see what Underwood has to say. His exposition is much better than mine, to be sure.

1. What is Goldbach and Polignac's Conjecture?

Goldbach and Polignac's Conjecture is a mathematical conjecture that states every even number greater than 2 can be expressed as the sum of two prime numbers.

2. Is Goldbach and Polignac's Conjecture proven?

No, Goldbach and Polignac's Conjecture is still an unsolved problem in mathematics. Although it has been extensively tested and verified for large numbers, a formal proof has not yet been found.

3. Who are Goldbach and Polignac?

Christian Goldbach and Alphonse de Polignac were two mathematicians who independently proposed the conjecture in the 18th and 19th centuries respectively.

4. What progress has been made towards proving Goldbach and Polignac's Conjecture?

Several partial results and related theorems have been proven, but a complete proof has not yet been discovered. Mathematicians continue to work on this problem and make progress towards a proof.

5. Why is Goldbach and Polignac's Conjecture important?

Goldbach and Polignac's Conjecture is important because it is a fundamental problem in number theory and has implications for other areas of mathematics. It also has practical applications in fields such as cryptography and computer science.