Exam review question (acceleration)

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a force of 1 N and two different masses, m1 and m2, resulting in different accelerations. The question asks for the acceleration of the combined m1 and m2 when the same force is applied. The equations used are F=m*a and a=F/m. The person asking for help is struggling with understanding how to solve the problem and is seeking a clear explanation.
Axson

Homework Statement

A force of 1 N pushing on a mass m1 results in an acceleration of 1.0 m/s2. The same force acting on mass m2 results in an acceleration of 3.00 m/s2. What is the acceleration a3 for the same force pushing the combination of m1 and m2?

Homework Equations

well I know that acceleration = force/mass lol

The Attempt at a Solution

this is a example problem for my first test tomorrow morning.. honestly I don't have a clue how to solve this problem and a good explanation would be very helpful.

two other problems from the exam review

ACCELERATIONS for SAME FORCE on DIFFERENT MASSES

A force F acting on a mass m1 results in an acceleration a.
The same force F acting on mass m2 results in an acceleration 0.20 a.
What is the acceleration anew for F pushing the combination of m1 and m2?

A force F of 3 N acting on a mass m1 results in an acceleration of 1 m/s2.
The same force F acting on mass m2 results in an acceleration of 0.20 m/s2.
What is the acceleration a3 for F pushing the combination of m1 and m2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well we know that:
[tex] \vec{F}=m\vec{a}[/tex]
What is m in this situation?
What is the total mass?

do you combine the masses? i mean really i don't have a clue how to solve this problem

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object changes its velocity over time. It is a vector quantity and is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity (final velocity minus initial velocity) by the change in time. The equation for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t.

3. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Velocity is the speed and direction of an object's motion, while acceleration is the rate at which that velocity changes. In other words, velocity tells us how fast an object is moving, while acceleration tells us how quickly the object's velocity is changing.

4. What is the difference between positive and negative acceleration?

Positive acceleration occurs when an object's velocity is increasing, while negative acceleration (also known as deceleration) occurs when an object's velocity is decreasing. Both positive and negative acceleration are measured in the same unit (m/s^2), but have different directions.

5. How is acceleration related to force?

According to Newton's second law of motion, acceleration is directly proportional to the net force acting on an object. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. This relationship is described by the equation F = ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.