Calculating Deceleration Using Calculus

In summary, the conversation discusses the math involved in finding the deceleration needed for an object to come to a stop over a certain distance. The example given is a car going 50mph and stopping in 40ft. Calculus is necessary to solve this type of problem, specifically by integrating twice to find the position as a function of acceleration and time. The conversation also mentions the availability of older, cheaper editions of calculus books for those who are not familiar with the topic.
shableep
A friend of mine lead me to this math example when I asked him what math would be involved in finding the deceleration necessary to stop an already accelerated object over a certain distance. For example, a car going 50mph that must stop in 40ft.

This was the example...

time-dependant-acceleration.gif

...and I have no idea where to start. Could anyone help me interpret this? And... sorry about bugging you guys with my general lack of physics understanding.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know calculus? If you want to stop with a constant deceleration a start with

[itex]x''(t) = -a[/itex] and integrate twice to get position as a function of a and t. Set the initial velocity to 50mph (in feet per second2), initial position x = 0 and require the velocity is 0 when x = 40. Solve for a.

Thanks, LCKurtz. And no, I don't know calculus =( And while I'm sure this is probably infinitely useful, I unfortunately don't know what it is to integrate twice. It's looking like I might be in over my head and I should look into some good calculus books.

Thanks again for the help.

Well, yes you will need calculus to solve that kind of problem, although some non-calculus physics books may give you the formulas without deriving them. You can do constant velocity problems with algebra using d = rt, but variable speed requires calculus. Early editions of calculus books are available cheap. You don't need the latest ones.

1. What is time dependent acceleration?

Time dependent acceleration refers to any change in an object's acceleration over time. This means that the acceleration is not constant and varies depending on the time period.

2. How is time dependent acceleration different from constant acceleration?

Constant acceleration is when an object's acceleration remains the same throughout its motion, while time dependent acceleration involves changes in the acceleration at different points in time.

3. What are some common examples of time dependent acceleration?

Some common examples of time dependent acceleration include a car accelerating from a stop, a rollercoaster going through loops and turns, and a rocket taking off into space.

4. How is time dependent acceleration calculated?

To calculate time dependent acceleration, you would need to use the equation a(t) = v'(t)/t, where a(t) is the acceleration at a specific time, v'(t) is the change in velocity over time, and t is the time period.

5. How does time dependent acceleration affect an object's motion?

Time dependent acceleration can greatly impact an object's motion, as it can cause changes in speed and direction. This can result in curved or non-linear motion, making it important to account for time dependent acceleration in many scientific calculations and experiments.