Finding the Largest Triangle in a Polygon: Solutions Needed!

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the largest possible triangle within a polygon, with two different cases: all vertices inside the polygon and some vertices on the polygon. It is mentioned that if all vertices are inside the polygon, there is no "largest" triangle, and mathematical representations and formulas are requested to solve the problem. A solution is proposed for a convex polygon by removing vertices to find the triangle with the greatest circumference.
damrai
Hi,

I am a newmember and a newbie to this forum.

I am interested in Maths especially Geometry. I am trying to deal with a geometry problem of polygon and i need help.

My question is -

I have a polygon with n number of sides. I want to find out the area of the largest possible triangle from this polygon in two cases.

Case: 1 All of the vertices of the largest triangle found lie in the interior of the polygon, that is none of the points of the triangle are on the polygon.

Case: 2 All or any of the vertices of the triangle lie on the polygon

Any ideas, links , formulas, algorithms that can be helpful is highly appreciated

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Damrai

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If all of the vertices must be inside the polygon, there is no "largest" triangle.
Given any triangle with all vertices inside the polygon, you can move each vertex closer to the the polygon (say, half its distance from the polygon) and get a larger triangle.

I think some more information needs to be specified.

I assume that polygon is fixed (that is, it is not deformable) and, generally, not regular.

Is this polygon convex?

Hi,

Robphy and HallsofIvy thanks for your replies.

Assuming the polygon to be concave or convex. Also it is not a compulsion that all the three vertices lie within the boundry of the polygon.

HallsofIvy, you have mentioned that - "If all of the vertices must be inside the polygon, there is no "largest" triangle." - What if any two of the vertices lie on the polygon.

Awaiting for your replies.

Regards,
Damrai.

Last edited:
If any two of the vertices lie on the polygon, you can still move the last vertex closer and closer to the polygon, thus there is still no largest triangle.

In other words, the "largest triangle" you can place in a polygon must have all three vertices on the polygon.

Hello,

Koroljov and HallsofIvy, can you please put down the mathematical representation for my problem.

I need some mathematical formula, postulates or any theorem which can help me to find out the area of the largest triangle from this polygon.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Damrai.

I think it can be solved this way (for a convex polygon):
Finding the triangle with the greatest area is the same as finding the triangle with the greatest circumference. (The formula of heroon: assume a triangle with sides a, b, c, and p=(a+b+c)/2, then the area=sqrt(p*(p-a)*(p-b)*(p-c))
Thus this might work:
If you remove a vertex of the polygon, the circumference of the polygon will change. You should remove the vertex of the polygon that causes the smallest change of circumference, and repeat this procedure until there are only 3 vertices left.

I'll post an image in some minutes.

Attachments

• triangle.jpg
    triangle.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:

1. How do you determine the largest triangle in a polygon?

In order to find the largest triangle in a polygon, you would need to first identify all the possible triangles within the polygon. Then, using mathematical equations and techniques such as Heron's formula or the shoelace formula, you can calculate the area of each triangle. The triangle with the largest area would be considered the largest triangle in the polygon.

2. What is Heron's formula and how does it help in finding the largest triangle?

Heron's formula is a mathematical equation that helps in finding the area of a triangle given the length of its three sides. It is expressed as A = √(s(s-a)(s-b)(s-c)), where A is the area, s is the semi-perimeter, and a, b, and c are the lengths of the triangle's sides. By using this formula, we can calculate the area of each triangle in the polygon and determine the largest one.

3. Are there any other methods or formulas to find the largest triangle in a polygon?

Yes, besides Heron's formula, there are other mathematical techniques that can be used to find the largest triangle in a polygon. One such method is the shoelace formula, which involves calculating the area of a polygon by using the coordinates of its vertices. Other methods involve dividing the polygon into smaller triangles and finding the largest one among them.

4. Can the largest triangle in a polygon be found by simply looking at it?

No, the largest triangle in a polygon cannot be determined by visual inspection alone. While it may be possible to identify a large triangle, it may not necessarily be the largest one. To accurately find the largest triangle, mathematical calculations and formulas must be used.

5. Is finding the largest triangle in a polygon useful in any practical applications?

Yes, determining the largest triangle in a polygon has various practical applications in fields such as computer graphics, engineering, and geology. It can be used to optimize the placement of objects in a 3D space, calculate the stability of structures, and analyze geological formations, among other things.