Two dimensional Poisson's equation, Green's function technique

In summary, the conversation discusses the perturbed gravitational potential of an incompressible fluid in rectangular configuration and the two-dimensional Poisson's equation it involves. The equation includes a step function and has a periodic source term with wavenumber k and reflection symmetry. The speaker expects the solution to also be periodic and symmetric. They inquire about using Green's technique and simplifying the problem to solve it. They also ask for help with obtaining a superposed solution.
omyojj
Hi,
While considering perturbed gravitational potential of incompressible fluid in rectangular configuration, I encountered two dimensional Poisson's equation including the step function.
I want to solve this equation

[tex] \left( \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2}{\partial z^2} \right) \psi(x, z) = [ \theta( z - ( a + \epsilon \cos(kx) ) } ) - \theta( z - a ) ] + [ \theta( z - ( - a - \epsilon \cos(kx) ) ) - \theta( z - (- a) ) ] [/tex]

[tex]a[/tex] is the height from [tex]z=0[/tex] plane and [tex]\epsilon [/tex] is a small number much smaller than [tex]a[/tex].
The source term is periodic in x direction with wavenumber [tex] k [/tex] and has a reflection symmetry.
Hence I expect [tex]\psi[/tex] would be also periodic in x-direction and be an even function about z=0 plane.

Do I have to use green's technique here to solve Poisson's equation involving periodic load?
Can it be reduced to Helmholtz equation in one dimension like [tex] \psi^{\prime \prime} - k^2 \psi = ... [/tex] ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you~

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok..
What if I simplify the problem?

[tex] \left( \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2}{\partial z^2} \right) \psi(x, z) = \theta(z - ( a + \epsilon \cos(kx) ) } [/tex]

If I can solve the above one then the superposed solution can be obtained.

help me. T.T

1. What is the Two-Dimensional Poisson's Equation?

The two-dimensional Poisson's equation is a partial differential equation that describes the relationship between a scalar field and its sources. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model various physical phenomena, such as heat transfer and electrostatics.

2. What is the Green's Function Technique?

The Green's function technique is a mathematical method used to solve differential equations, including the two-dimensional Poisson's equation. It involves finding a function that satisfies the equation and can be used to determine the solution for any given set of boundary conditions.

3. How is the Green's Function for the Two-Dimensional Poisson's Equation derived?

The Green's function for the two-dimensional Poisson's equation is derived by considering a point source located at the origin and solving the equation for this specific case. The solution obtained is then used as a building block to construct the Green's function for any general source distribution.

4. What are the applications of the Two-Dimensional Poisson's Equation and Green's Function Technique?

The two-dimensional Poisson's equation and Green's function technique have various applications in physics and engineering, such as modeling electric fields and potential in electronic circuits, analyzing heat transfer in two-dimensional systems, and predicting the behavior of fluid flow in two-dimensional domains.

5. What are the advantages of using the Green's Function Technique to solve the Two-Dimensional Poisson's Equation?

The Green's function technique offers several advantages for solving the two-dimensional Poisson's equation, including its ability to handle complex boundary conditions, its versatility in handling various source distributions, and its efficiency in obtaining solutions for large and complex systems.