Does this pic makes sense? (Trigonometry)

• Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trigonometry
In summary, the conversation discusses the graph of y = sin(x) and the comparison of the values on the x-axis (angles in radians) and the y-axis (sines of those angles). It is mentioned that the scale of the graph can be adjusted however the user wants, but the numerical values on the x and y-axis cannot be compared as they represent different things. It is also debated whether every function plotted needs to have physical significance or if it can simply show the relationship between two numbers. Ultimately, it is concluded that the graph in question is physically significant and the original question should not be changed to only consider the numerical values.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
Does this pic make sense? If pi is equal to 3.14, how come it seems drawn at where 1 supposed to be?

[PLAIN]http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6190/sine.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The 1 is on the y-axis, where the value is... umm... 1. The multiples of pi are on the x-axis.

CRGreathouse said:
The 1 is on the y-axis, where the value is... umm... 1. The multiples of pi are on the x-axis.
I know, but if you look at it carefully you can see that the "1" on the y-axis is way longer than the pi on the "x-axis"...how does that make sense if pi is equal to 3.14?

You can scale a graph physically however you want. Your "ticks", as I call them, can be spaced out however you want, as long as it is uniform on the axis. For example, let's say instead of graphing y = sin(x), you graphed y = 10000sin(x). If you actually drew your graph so that the length along the x-axis from 0 to pi matched the y-axis as you want, your graph would be so tall as to lose all usefulness.

edit: I say they have to be uniform on the axis... but that's not entirely true but for your purposes they do.

Last edited:
I think you're wrong, Peng.

Are you saying that the X-plane and the Y-plane are simply not symmetrically aligned in this case?

Dory said:
I think you're wrong, Peng.

Are you saying that the X-plane and the Y-plane are simply not symmetrically aligned in this case?

If you mean they are not similar in the length scale, obvious they are not. And there is no need for them to be. Like I said, if you plotted something like 1000sin(x), would it make sense to allocate the same lengths per tick for the x and y axis?

Dory the quantities on the x-axis are different to those on the y axis.The x-axis is giving angles in radians and the y-axis is giving the sines of those angles.They are two different things so how can you compare the numerical values of them?It's rather like me saying that four seconds is bigger than three metres.It's a meaningless comparison.

Ah...getting the hang of it. Thanks.

Dadface said:
Dory the quantities on the x-axis are different to those on the y axis.The x-axis is giving angles in radians and the y-axis is giving the sines of those angles.They are two different things so how can you compare the numerical values of them?It's rather like me saying that four seconds is bigger than three metres.It's a meaningless comparison.

We shouldn't be worrying ourselves about the units that correspond with the graph. We could just as well be plotting something hypothetically numerical that has no physical significance. Pengwuino has already answered the question appropriately.

Another example, if we plotted y=x it will only look like there is a 45o angle between the line and the x-axis if the unit lengths on the x and y-axis are spaced equally apart. If we had 1cm=1 on the x-axis but 1cm=10 on the y-axis then it will look like y=x/10 instead of y=x.

Mentallic said:
We shouldn't be worrying ourselves about the units that correspond with the graph. We could just as well be plotting something hypothetically numerical that has no physical significance. Pengwuino has already answered the question appropriately.

Another example, if we plotted y=x it will only look like there is a 45o angle between the line and the x-axis if the unit lengths on the x and y-axis are spaced equally apart. If we had 1cm=1 on the x-axis but 1cm=10 on the y-axis then it will look like y=x/10 instead of y=x.

Yes of course you can choose any scale you wish but also it is meaningless to make numerical comparisons between quantities that are different.The graph in question is physically significant,both quantities are unitless but they are different things.

So you're saying that every function we plot needs to have some physical significance? We can't just find the relationship between two numbers by plotting an input and its appropriate output defined by some function?

No I wasn't referring to "every function" I was referring to the function introduced by the op which is physically significant.

Right, so if I showed you a quadratic then you would agree that the numbers can just be a relationship between each other. If I then changed my story around and told you this quadratic describes the motion of a projectile then everything suddenly changes? No, it has no reason to.

We are describing the relationship between the quantities on the x and y-axis as nothing more than numerical values. No matter what the units are, we are only comparing the relationship of the numbers. This isn't the reason why we change the scale of each axis, pengwuino has given the correct answer.

You "are only comparing the relationship of the numbers"? .It is not valid to change the original question and consider the numbers only and ignore what those numbers stand for?The answers we give here should refer to the graph that has been presented which has one set of numbers referring to angles and the second set referring to sines of those angles,two different things.

Last edited:

1. What is Trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles.

2. Why is Trigonometry important?

Trigonometry is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation to calculate distances, heights, and angles. It is also used in computer graphics, architecture, and astronomy.

3. How is Trigonometry used in analyzing pictures?

Trigonometry can be used to determine the angles and lengths of sides in a picture, which can then be used to construct a more accurate representation of the image.

4. What are some common applications of Trigonometry in pictures?

Trigonometry is commonly used in photography to determine the optimal angles for taking pictures and in video games to create realistic 3D environments. It is also used to analyze satellite and aerial images and in creating maps and blueprints.

5. How can Trigonometry help us understand the world around us?

Trigonometry helps us understand the relationships between different objects and their dimensions. It can also be used to solve real-life problems such as finding the height of a building or the distance between two objects.