Wormholes mean changes to Relativity?

In summary, the article discusses the consequences of a billiard ball going back in time and hitting itself. It is shown that classical mechanics have more problems with time travel than quantum mechanics.
Zeteg
Actually, this is one of the question I was wondering about.
If mathematics allows for wormholes (And there's really no point in asking if they exist), then the following is true?

Through time dialations pertaining to relativity, it would seem that if there's enough of a dilation through both mouthes of the wormhole, one could possibly look into another century. Now, if this were true, he could see objects in the future, right beside him, that hasn't existed yet.

Now, if that's the case, then would that not mean that when an object is not at rest (and thus dialating through time), that it actually travels to a different "almost parallel universe"? Think about it, if large differences in time can be noticed in "if it exists or not", then why would small changes not affect that?

Being 16, I'm not exactly too familiar with the topic, in Richard Feymen suggested that each particles actually moves through every position in order to arrive at a point, right? I guess this is another version of the uncertainty principle. Now, could this possibly work with what I suggested, and this would be the end result?:

For every movement that something makes, it actually jumps through an near infinate amount of "universes". In each of these universes, each particle moves through a different path. Since, if we know the position and speed of every particle, we can predict what happens in the future, then this would mean that MANY futures are possible. In each of these, another future is born.

In essence, couldn't this mean, that for every possible movement for every possible particle, that there is another universe, in which things are different? This would surely make wormholes make sense.

There's probably a flaw in there somewhere, if someone would point it out, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does mathematics allow for wormholes?? Yes, of course mathematics allows for anything! The question really is: does the result match experimental evidence!

Well, what I'm saying is... well, if wormholes are allowed to exist, then there must be something wrong with the perception of space time.

Could we possibly be traveling through different 'worlds' set in different 'times', and instead of looking at time-space together, maybe as we move through space, we are in turn traveling slower through the actual 'worlds'? How else would we explain looking in two times?

Zeteg,

You seem to have some rather severe misconceptions about relativity. A moving object does not "dialate through time" [sic]. Indeed, no matter how fast you go, you will always see your own watch ticking at its normal rate. Time dilation is an effect that involves two frames of reference that are moving with respect to each other. If you only have one frame -- your own -- there is no time dilation.

Second, wormholes were actually predicted by the general theory of relativity. That doesn't mean they actually exist; it just means they could exist.

- Warren

Zeteg said:
Now, if that's the case, then would that not mean that when an object is not at rest (and thus dialating through time), that it actually travels to a different "almost parallel universe"? Think about it, if large differences in time can be noticed in "if it exists or not", then why would small changes not affect that?

I lost you here. What is "dialating through time"? That's not a standard physics concept.

One thing you might be thinking of is the billiard ball problem.

http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PRD/v44/i4/p1077_1

The effects of self-interaction in classical physics, in the presence of closed timelike curves, are probed by means of a simple model problem: The motion and self-collisions of a nonrelativistic, classical billiard ball in a space endowed with a wormhole that takes the ball backward in time.

<major snip>

A simple analog of the science-fiction scenario of going back in time and killing oneself is an initial trajectory which is dangerous in this sense: When followed assuming no collisions, the trajectory takes the ball through the wormhole and thereby back in time, and then sends the ball into collision with itself. In contrast with one's naive expectation that dangerous trajectories might have multiplicity zero and thereby make the Cauchy problem ill posed (``no solutions''), it is shown that all dangerous initial trajectories in a wide class have infinite multiplicity and thereby make the Cauchy problem ill posed in an unexpected way: ``far too many solutions.''

Note that you don't necesarily need "multiple universes" to consider the causality problems of time machines - the analysis was purely classical.

It turns out that quantum mechanics may actually have more problems with time travel than classical mechanics - quantum vacuum fluctuations turn out to be a bigger problem than the billiard ball going back in time and hitting itself, which from the results of the above paper appear to be a non-problem.

http://cosmology.berkeley.edu/Education/BHfaq.html

Check out this site, Zeteg,

It contains all info that you ever wanted to know on black holes, white holes and worm holes. It also clearly explains the difference between these three "holes" in proper layman terms...

Sit back, relax and enjoy...

marlon

Okay, thanks for the feedback, but I think I asked an awkward, and horribly phrased question. I guess it's just the excitement of asking everything that was piled up in my mind at once. Apologies.

First, even though wormholes may not exist, it doesn't change the fact that their allowed existence shows something (I'm assuming) is wrong with it, or relativity.

Brian Greene pointed out in The Fabric of the Cosmos (which corresponds to other things I've read), that it's possible for a wormhole to open up in two different times. Now, let's assume that these holes are placed a meter or so away from each other, without any interference consequences.

This would essentially be a portal to a different time. If I were to stay at one wormhole, and peer through the other, I wouldn't see myself, because the time difference between the two holes could be extreme. Let's say they're 200 years apart.

Now, this would show that time differences can be captured even in one place in space. We can be looking at the same space, at different times (but the same one in our head), and realize that we don't see the same thing.

This would mean that large amounts of different time is visible. When I said "dialation", I meant, if I were to travel and near light speeds and come back to Earth, I would realize that everyone has aged faster than me.

If large amounts of varient time is visible, wouldn't that mean that small amounts of time differences "should" also be visible? If initially I am at rest, could I be traveling through different--absolute "slices" of time, which in essence provide another 'world'?

I'm aware that General Relativity allows for wormholes, but that's not to say that it's completely wrong. Maybe it needs a bit of rewritting, when pertaining to such extreme circumstances?

Either that, or I'm making a really big mistake. I hope I made the point I was trying to make... It's pretty hard putting down in writting what I'm thinking.

It's not particularly obvious that time travel would generate "multiple universes". It's fairly likely that the existence of time travel would impose some limits on the philosophical concept of "free will". The future, with time travel, would become as real as the past. So, looking through a wormhole, you would not necessarily be looking at "some other universe", you'd be looking at the future of our universe. If you see something horrible (a murder, for example) through the wormhole, you'll be rather stuck. It will have to happen. You might be able to play some interesting games by trying to make your perceptions inaaccurate (i.e. staging a fake murder, so a real one doesn't have to happen).

Of course this is all rather speculative...

Personally, I think it is fairly likely that string theory or other advancements on relativity will prevent time machines, which will be a definite relief as some of the consequences of time travel are quite disturbing.

1. What is a wormhole and how does it relate to relativity?

A wormhole is a hypothetical tunnel-like structure that connects two distant points in space-time. According to the theory of relativity, objects with mass cause a curvature in space-time, and a wormhole is a manifestation of this curvature.

2. How would the existence of wormholes affect our understanding of relativity?

If wormholes were proven to exist, it would challenge our understanding of relativity as it would require us to rethink the concept of space-time and how it can be manipulated. It would also raise questions about the limits of the theory and whether it can fully explain the complexities of the universe.

3. Can wormholes be used for time travel?

The concept of using wormholes for time travel is a popular one in science fiction, but according to current scientific understanding, it is not possible. While wormholes may allow for faster-than-light travel, they do not provide a means for traveling back in time.

4. Are there any experiments or observations that support the existence of wormholes?

Currently, there is no conclusive evidence for the existence of wormholes. However, some theories, such as the concept of black holes and white holes, suggest the possibility of wormholes. Additionally, scientists are actively searching for potential signatures of wormholes in astronomical observations.

5. What are some potential implications of wormholes on space travel?

If wormholes were to exist, they could potentially provide a shortcut for space travel, allowing us to travel vast distances in a shorter amount of time. However, the immense gravitational forces and energy requirements make it currently impossible for us to use wormholes for space travel.