Typical magnetic field in stars

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for information on the typical magnetic field in high mass stars. The individual had tried searching on Google but was unable to find a reference. Another person suggests starting with a Wikipedia article and provides a paper as a good starting point for research. The conversation ends with gratitude for the helpful resources provided.
amarante
Hi,

Actually, I would like to know the typical magnetic field in high mass stars. I tried to find in google, but I couldnt. Maybe I should try it harder. But if someone know a reference, I would be glad.

Thanks,
Joao A.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thank you!

The wikepedia article I had already read!

The paper was exactly what I was looking for!

1. What is a typical magnetic field in stars?

A typical magnetic field in stars is the strength of the magnetic field measured at the surface of a star. It can range from a few gauss (unit of magnetic field strength) in weakly magnetic stars to thousands of gauss in highly magnetic stars.

2. How does the magnetic field in stars affect their behavior?

The magnetic field in stars plays a crucial role in their behavior and evolution. It can influence the star's rotation, mass loss, and activity, as well as impact their surrounding environment through stellar winds and flares.

3. Can we measure the magnetic field in stars?

Yes, we can measure the magnetic field in stars using various techniques such as Zeeman effect, polarimetry, and spectroscopy. These methods allow us to estimate the strength, orientation, and structure of the magnetic field in stars.

4. Do all stars have magnetic fields?

No, not all stars have magnetic fields. It is estimated that about 10-20% of stars have detectable magnetic fields. The strength and complexity of the magnetic field also vary among different types of stars.

5. How do we study the magnetic fields in stars?

We study the magnetic fields in stars through observations and theoretical models. By analyzing the effects of the magnetic field on a star's behavior and studying its physical properties, we can gain insights into the origin and evolution of magnetic fields in stars.