Help diagnosing 'static electricity' problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with static electricity on a deck, with shocks being received from the rail system and aluminum framing. The deck is made of proprietary plastic and people wearing tennis shoes are experiencing shocks. A grounded Earth wire has been installed, but one suggestion is to add a conductive filler to the plastic or put a matting on top of the floor. Another suggestion is to ground the railing in addition to the planking.
GMW
From the attached photograph I have a continuing problem with what I would describe as “static electricity”. Shocks are being received from the rail system and also the aluminimum framing supporting the electrically operated window shutters. As indicated, the deck is a proprietary plastic. Shocks are being received with people wearing tennis shoes. A grounded Earth wire has been installed linking each deck plank.

Any advice to resolve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
GMW

Attachments

• DeckDSCN1026-2.jpg
    DeckDSCN1026-2.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 420
Engineering news on Phys.org
GMW said:
From the attached photograph I have a continuing problem with what I would describe as “static electricity”. Shocks are being received from the rail system and also the aluminimum framing supporting the electrically operated window shutters. As indicated, the deck is a proprietary plastic. Shocks are being received with people wearing tennis shoes. A grounded Earth wire has been installed linking each deck plank.

Any advice to resolve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
GMW

Welcome to the PF.

Can some conductive filler be added to the plastic formulation? Alternately, can a matting be put on top of the plastic floor?

Have you tried grounding the railing? You only mention grounding the planking.

1. What causes static electricity?

Static electricity is caused by an imbalance of electric charges on the surface of an object. This can occur when two objects rub against each other, or when an object gains or loses electrons.

2. How can I tell if I have a static electricity problem?

Signs of a static electricity problem may include shocks when touching objects, objects sticking together or to clothing, and frizzy hair. You may also notice small sparks when touching certain objects.

3. Can static electricity be dangerous?

In most cases, static electricity is not dangerous. However, it can be a fire hazard in certain environments, such as around flammable gases or liquids. It can also damage sensitive electronic equipment.

4. How can I prevent static electricity?

There are several ways to prevent static electricity, such as wearing clothing made of natural materials, using a humidifier to increase moisture in the air, and avoiding synthetic materials that can cause static buildup. Grounding objects and using anti-static products can also help prevent static electricity.

5. How can I diagnose a static electricity problem?

To diagnose a static electricity problem, you can use a static electricity meter or perform a visual inspection to look for potential sources of static buildup. You may also need to test different materials and environments to determine the cause of the issue.