[particle physices] pair production not possible in absence of matter?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of pair production in the absence of matter. The conversation mentions that virtual pairs can pop into existence in a vacuum, but for non-virtual pairs to be created, there must be energy nearby to pay for it. The question is asking why a single real photon cannot spontaneously decay into an electron-positron pair. The answer is that momentum and energy conservation would not allow this to happen. While it is possible for two photons to interact and produce a pair, it is more common for pair production to occur in the presence of matter.
nonequilibrium

Homework Statement

"Prove that pair production is not possible in the absence of matter."

Homework Equations

/

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, I'll assume a photon is considered matter, cause two photons can create a pair.
Second: I thought pairs pop into and out of existence all the time, in the absence of matter (vacuum fluctuations). So I'll also assume they mean non-virtual pairs.

Okay: imagine a virtual pair popping into existence. If there isn't anything with energy/that can give off energy nearby (matter), nothing can pay for the virtual energy, thus the pair must annihilate.

That's my attempt... Maybe I'm missing the point? (it certainly feels like that)

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, you're missing the point. The question is asking you to explain why a single real photon of sufficient energy can't spontaneously decay (by itself) into, say, an electron-positron pair.

Huh? Okay I get that that is not possible (momentum and energy conservation), but can you please tell me how you got that that was the question? Why can we exclude two photons coming together to form a pair?

I've heard it before, even phrased exactly like that. It's a pretty common homework question in particle physics courses.

You can't exclude the possibility of two photons interacting to produce a pair, but I'd guess that pair production more typically occurs when a single photon is in the vicinity of matter.

Oh... okay then, thanks a lot :)

1. What is pair production in particle physics?

Pair production is a phenomenon in particle physics where a high-energy photon interacts with a strong electric field and produces a particle and its antiparticle.

2. How is pair production related to the existence of matter?

Pair production is only possible in the presence of matter because the strong electric field required for the process to occur is generated by the charged particles in matter.

3. What happens if there is no matter present during a pair production event?

If there is no matter present, there will be no strong electric field to interact with the high-energy photon, and pair production will not occur.

4. Can pair production occur in a vacuum?

No, pair production cannot occur in a vacuum because a vacuum does not contain matter and therefore does not have the necessary strong electric field.

5. How does pair production contribute to the study of particle physics?

Pair production is an important process in particle physics as it allows scientists to study the properties and interactions of particles and antiparticles that are produced. It also provides evidence for the existence of matter and helps to understand the fundamental forces of nature.