Understanding Loop Integrals and Differentiation in Quantum Field Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses a derivation for the integration of momenta in arbitrary dimensions, as well as a formula for differentiating the original formula with respect to p. The missing factor of 2 in the numerator of the right-hand side is pointed out, and the conversation ends with a clear explanation and rearrangement of the formula.
earth2
Hey,

I've been reading a bit in the QFT book by Pierre Ramond about loops and i stumbled about some derivations in appendix B that I can't follow.
First Ramond derives a formula for integration of momenta in arbitrary dimensions
[tex]\int \frac{d^Nl}{(l^2+2p\cdot l+b^2)^A}=\pi^{N/2}\frac{\Gamma(A-N/2)}{\Gamma(A)}\frac{1}{(b^2-p^2)^{A-N/2}}[/tex]

This is fine with me. What I don't get is the following. He says if we differentiate this formula with respect to [tex]p^\mu[/tex] we'd get

[tex]\int \frac{d^Nl \quad l_\mu}{(l^2+2p\cdot l+b^2)^A}=\pi^{N/2}\frac{\Gamma(A-N/2)}{\Gamma(A)}\frac{-p_\mu}{(b^2-p^2)^{A-N/2}}[/tex]

I don't see how that comes about. If I differentiate the first formula wrt p I get

[tex]\int \frac{d^Nl \quad (-A)2l_\mu}{(l^2+2p\cdot l+b^2)^{A+1}}=\pi^{N/2}\frac{\Gamma(A-N/2)}{\Gamma(A)}\frac{-p_\mu(-A+N/2)}{(b^2-p^2)^{A-N/2+1}}[/tex]

I haven't found another derivation of this formula, nor do I see where I go wrong...
Can anyone help my with this?

Thanks
earth2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I usual, we assume an infinite amount of available space under our rug (no discussion of proper definitions of integrals etc...).

I start from your formula : there is a missing factor 2 in the numerator in the rhs, which comes from the square of p inside the parenthesis in the denominator before differentiation :
[tex]
\int \frac{d^Nl \quad (-A)2l_\mu}{(l^2+2p\cdot l+b^2)^{A+1}}=\pi^{N/2}\frac{\Gamma(A-N/2)}{\Gamma(A)}\frac{-2p_\mu(-A+N/2)}{(b^2-p^2)^{A-N/2+1}}
[/tex]
So drop the factors of 2 and re-arrange the A and A-N/2 with the Gammas :
[tex]
\int \frac{d^Nl \quad l_\mu}{(l^2+2p\cdot l+b^2)^{A+1}}=\pi^{N/2}\frac{(A-N/2)}{A}\frac{\Gamma(A-N/2)}{\Gamma(A)}\frac{-p_\mu}{(b^2-p^2)^{A-N/2+1}}
[/tex]
Then make use of
[tex]
\Gamma(z+1)=z\Gamma(z)
[/tex]

[tex]
\int \frac{d^Nl \quad l_\mu}{(l^2+2p\cdot l+b^2)^{A+1}}=\pi^{N/2}\frac{\Gamma(A+1-N/2)}{\Gamma(A+1)}\frac{-p_\mu}{(b^2-p^2)^{A+1-N/2}}
[/tex]
Finally rename A+1 -> A
[tex]
\int \frac{d^Nl \quad l_\mu}{(l^2+2p\cdot l+b^2)^{A}}=\pi^{N/2}\frac{\Gamma(A-N/2)}{\Gamma(A)}\frac{-p_\mu}{(b^2-p^2)^{A-N/2}}
[/tex]
(yes, you did the hard part :smile:)

Ah, that was enlightening! Thanks a lot! :)

What are loop integrals?

Loop integrals are mathematical expressions used to calculate the contribution of virtual particles to a physical process in quantum field theory. These integrals involve the integration of momentum over a closed loop in a Feynman diagram, which represents the exchange of virtual particles between interacting particles.

Why are loop integrals important in quantum field theory?

Loop integrals are important because they allow us to understand and calculate the effects of virtual particles on physical processes. These virtual particles cannot be directly observed, but they play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

What is the difference between a one-loop and a multi-loop integral?

A one-loop integral involves the integration of momentum over a single closed loop in a Feynman diagram. On the other hand, a multi-loop integral involves the integration over multiple closed loops in a Feynman diagram. Multi-loop integrals are typically more complicated and require more advanced mathematical techniques to solve.

How are loop integrals used in particle physics experiments?

Loop integrals are used to calculate the probability of different particle interactions in particle physics experiments. These calculations can then be compared to experimental data to test the validity of theoretical models and make predictions for future experiments.

What challenges arise when working with loop integrals?

Loop integrals can be challenging to work with due to their complex mathematical nature. They often require advanced techniques such as dimensional regularization and renormalization to properly calculate. In addition, the presence of divergences in these integrals can also pose challenges in obtaining physically meaningful results.