Object Slowing on a Horizontal Surface after Rolling down an Inclined Plane

In summary, Block A starts from rest and slides 8m down a frictionless 30 degree angled inclined plane. It then crosses a 4m horizontal surface where the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.2. It hits a ball at the end of a string after that and you have to find the height Ball B goes to, but I know how to do that If I can figure out the end velocity of Block A after it has crossed the horizontal surface.
Caramon

Homework Statement

Block A starts from rest and slides 8m down a frictionless 30 degree angled inclined plane. It then crosses a 4m horizontal surface where the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.2. What is the velocity of Block A after it has finished crossing the horizontal surface?

(Note: It hits a ball at the end of a string after that and you have to find the height Ball B goes to, but I know how to do that If I can figure out the end velocity of Block A after it has crossed the horizontal surface).

Homework Equations

Kinematic Equations?
Fnet = ma?
Ff = uFn

The Attempt at a Solution

I am fairly sure that Block A is going 19.81m/s as it starts onto the horizontal surface but am not sure how to calculate the end velocity after crossing the frictional surface.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Caramon said:

Homework Statement

Block A starts from rest and slides 8m down a frictionless 30 degree angled inclined plane. It then crosses a 4m horizontal surface where the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.2. What is the velocity of Block A after it has finished crossing the horizontal surface?

(Note: It hits a ball at the end of a string after that and you have to find the height Ball B goes to, but I know how to do that If I can figure out the end velocity of Block A after it has crossed the horizontal surface).

Homework Equations

Kinematic Equations?
Fnet = ma?
Ff = uFn

The Attempt at a Solution

I am fairly sure that Block A is going 19.81m/s as it starts onto the horizontal surface but am not sure how to calculate the end velocity after crossing the frictional surface.

Thank you.

There are two ways to do it: with the work-energy theorem or simply with F=ma and the kinematics equation of constant acceleration.

In that second way, you may use the two equations you wrote , [itex] m a = - \mu F_N [/itex]. What is the normal force? That will allow you to find the acceleration. Then you may use the equations of constant acceleration, you know the distance, the initial velocity and the acceleration, you may find the final velocity.

Hope that helps

Yeah, apparently I'm fking retarded. I forgot that Fnet = whatever the Ff is. I thought the object would be carrying some Fapp with it as it still had speed from coming down the inclined plane. I solved the problem.

Thanks for the help. :)

1. What causes an object to slow down on a horizontal surface after rolling down an inclined plane?

The main factor that causes an object to slow down on a horizontal surface after rolling down an inclined plane is friction. As the object moves along the surface, it experiences resistance from the surface, which gradually reduces its speed.

2. How does the mass of the object affect its slowing down on a horizontal surface?

The mass of the object plays a significant role in determining its slowing down on a horizontal surface. The greater the mass of the object, the greater its inertia and resistance to motion. This results in a slower deceleration compared to an object with less mass.

3. Can the angle of the inclined plane affect the object's slowing down on a horizontal surface?

Yes, the angle of the inclined plane does affect the object's slowing down on a horizontal surface. A steeper angle results in a greater acceleration down the incline, which means the object will have a higher speed when it reaches the horizontal surface. This, in turn, leads to a longer distance traveled and a slower deceleration on the horizontal surface.

4. What other factors can impact the object's slowing down on a horizontal surface?

Apart from friction and the angle of the inclined plane, the shape and size of the object can also impact its slowing down on a horizontal surface. A round object will experience less resistance compared to an object with sharp edges. Additionally, the surface of the object and the surface of the horizontal plane can also affect its deceleration.

5. Is there a way to calculate the deceleration of an object on a horizontal surface after rolling down an inclined plane?

Yes, the deceleration of an object on a horizontal surface can be calculated using the principles of physics, specifically Newton's laws of motion. By measuring the mass, initial velocity, and acceleration of the object on the inclined plane, one can determine the deceleration on the horizontal surface using the equation a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is the deceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time taken.